arduino as ISP isssues

hey folks, I am trying to burn a whole bunch of bootloaders onto some 328s and a 644p (sanguino). I am starting w/ teh sanguino since it is to repopulate a board that I let all the magick smoke out of by hooking up the power backwards the first day I had it :roll_eyes: lets not talk about it. Anyways I proudly did my first SMT solder job, only 2 bridges and the board should beback in order. First I programmed a sanguino as an isp (anyone following in my footsteps, you are a fool, also us pin 4 as slave reset, not pin 10) and I could not do it, getting this error message

avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

to eliminate the sanguino wild card I now programmed an arduino ethernet as an ISP as it is my only genuine arduino. I got the same error message using it to program the 644p. I tried both 0022 that I usually use w/ the Sanguino 644p, and 1.0. Both give the same results. the full part number on the chip is atmega644p20au 1113 I assume 1113 is a batch or w/e. anyways maybe I bought the wrong chip? http://sanguino.cc/hardware it only gets into the specifics of 644p, and toasting the chipburned off the label. anyone willing to help this idiot?

I am a liar, I found a sanguino in mybox o-spares, identical part number ignoring the last 4 digits

I am guessing your 644p was already bootloaded with Sanguino? You then you uploaded the Arduino as ISP? Now you get the Invalid device signature?

First I programmed a sanguino as an isp (anyone following in my footsteps, you are a fool, also us pin 4 as slave reset, not pin 10) and I could not do it, getting this error message

Without clarification, this is incorrect. Pin 9 is the RESET pin and pin 5 SS or Slave Select but I have never run into a situation where SS would be used as a RESET. There is no evidence at Sanguino.cc either: http://sanguino.cc/breadboardsanguino

Would you happen to have a picture for this project?

Clarify: I have: 1 built and working Sanguino with isp sketch installed 1 Built and working arduino ethernet with isp sketch installed

1 built but with blank chip Sanguino

I want: to install the bootloader ontothe blank sanguino

as for the pin thing, in my pin.h or whatever file it was, SS for the 644p was defined as pin 4, not 10 as it is on most other boards. meaning I had pin 4 on the ISP connected to the RESET pin on the blank device. I unwired everything already, but could put it back together if that is not clear enough

Okay, Easy Way #1

1. Connect the ICSP (2x3 header next to the serial prog pins) of each Sanduinos with a *2x3 6 pin ribbon cable.
  2. Plug the USB2TTL into Sanduino with Arduino as ISP (**Note if the Blank Sanduino's power light turns on).
  3. Select the Sanduino 644p in the "Boards: section and select the appropriate "Serial Port".
  4. Select "Burn Bootloader"

*If you do not have a 2x3 ribbon cable, 6 female/female jumper cables can be connected pin for pin to each Sanduino ICSP. **If the Blank Sanduino power LED does not light, you will have to supply an external source.

ok, I found a bunch of scattered info on the web, bookmarked on my other computer, but it turns out the bootloader installo process is broken, there are some unofficial fixes, i will link them here when I sit behind my machine AND have tested them. Relief to know it (might) not be my fault