Arduino as Motor Driver with Potentiometer

hi all !

I am a newbie in using an arduino. But i just got an assignment to write a program for an arduino as a motor drive. I have a lot of questions about this project, i hope someone could help me ! Well i will have a potentiometer as an input (the voltage will have range between 0-48V) and will be used to change the speed of the motor. And as output i will have to send signal for 4 Switches , my teacher told me that the motor should be operating with 4 quadrant regulator. My questions are :

1. should i use PWM for the programming ?
  2. how can i regulate the speed of the motor, while i just have 4 Switches ? bcs as far as i know the 4 switches only can make the motor move forward and move reverse ...

thanks a lot for your help ! sorry if my questions sound stupid ...

The Arduino can control a motor driver, not act as one.

You cannot directly read voltages higher than 5V with Arduino. Use a voltage divider to read higher voltages.

Can you ask your teacher for guidance? It sounds like the assignment requires a some important knowledge that may not be there.

Does the pot have to be powered by 48V? can it be powered by 5V or 3.3V? If not, then you need a voltage reducer. A voltage divider will work, but the resistance must by a lot higher than the potentiometer resistance.

The Arduino can send signals to a motor driver, but as mentioned it can't drive 48V directly or supply high current.

What type of motor are you driving and how? 4 quadrant could mean a few different things, but I think that means an H-Bridge. Yes, PWM can be used to regulate the speed, but understand how an H-Bridge works. You don't want to turn on 2 transistors in series and get "shoot through" current which is basically a short circuit and will destroy your transistors.