Arduino as USB Host or Raspberry Pi?

Hi all,

I'd like some advice.

My project (a timing display for RC car racing) needs to be able to talk to a commercial timing display that our club has already purchased. I thought this display had a RS232 DB9 connector so I used SoftwareSerial to provide the output; however, I was wrong, the display only has USB input.

So my question is this - do you guys think it is easier to make the Arduino a USB host and talk to the timing display in this way - or - do you think it is easier to provide serial output to a Raspberry Pi (via SoftwareSerial) and then to talk to the display through the Pi?

I should point out also that I'm already using the SPI pins on my Arduino to provide wireless functionality via nRF24L01 transceivers.

Thanks,

Joe

If the display needs to be connected to a USB host I would be inclined to use the RPi. I have no experience of an Arduino USB host shield but I don't think it has the versatility of a PC or RPi and it may not recognize the device.

An Arduino Yun might be another option.

Or just a cheap laptop?

...R

I like your thinking with the latop, Robin, that's something I hadn't considered!

I'm fairly sure the display board uses a FT232 IC, from the point of view of keeping the size of the enclosure to a minimum I'd like to use a Pi Zero, although I have an old Mk1 (256Mb) Pi I could use.

Guess I'd better start learning Python! :)

Cheers

Joe

JoeK1973: I'm fairly sure the display board uses a FT232 IC,

Maybe you could hack into the Serial side of it ?

But don't waste time telling me you have broken it :)

...R