Arduino Automatic Cereal Dispenser Circuit Help!

Hello Guys,
I'm A Student working on a electro-mechanical Cereal dispenser for a final project and we're at the design/circuit creation stage. My Teacher told me to consider an arduino circuit, i've previously heard of arduino with LTT making the perfect gaming chair and various other projects.
while researching i found an Automatic Cereal Dispenser using the Arduino Uno and i loved it, the lights, the operation and the clean look Crunchomatic - Automatic Food Dispenser - Arduino Uno
The problem is he doesn't give much detail other than he uses an Arduino Uno, an Arduino Controlled Servo Motor, a Proximity Sensor, RGB LED Lights and LED Pushbuttons.
Basically, I'm Stumped on how to figure out the circuit as i'm completely new to arduino and i was wondering if anyone could help me finding out a circuit that would operate like this.

A google search for arduino servo, or arduino pushbutton, or arduino LED, etc will get you staarted. Build a circuit and write small sketch for each part. Play with each part til you understand how it works. From there it will be much easier to figure out how to connect everything (electrically and the code).

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

How much work have you done with Arduino?

Looking at the YouTube link, it looks fairly basic with the parts described.

However we do not write code to help you, unless we see your attempts first, this forum, like your college, is a learning experience.

I suggest you get yourself familiar with programming an Arduino UNO, doing the basic exercises in the IDE.
This will help you see how to design your project.

You will need to write down a basic list of events or flowchart to describe what actions need to occur.

I hope your college has the resources to help with getting Arduino IDE and programming up and running.

Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

How much work have you done with Arduino?

Looking at the YouTube link, it looks fairly basic with the parts described.

However we do not write code to help you, unless we see your attempts first, this forum, like your college, is a learning experience.

I suggest you get yourself familiar with programming an Arduino UNO, doing the basic exercises in the IDE.
This will help you see how to design your project.

You will need to write down a basic list of events or flowchart to describe what actions need to occur.

I hope your college has the resources to help with getting Arduino IDE and programming up and running.

Tom… :slight_smile:

Literally No Experience, I’m In Secondary School doing it for a final year project, not at college yet! As i emailed my teacher there has only been one other student who used an arduino circuit, his dad was an engineer with experience.
I Found this Site Dog Food Dispenser and it’s exactly what i want except it doesn’t have the timer. The Circuit i mean.
Currently i have not researched into code but is it possible to set rotation per button press. e.g When button pressed rotate 90 Degrees or will i need seperate hardware with it. (By just using using an Arduino Uno and a standard servo.
Sorry for being a noob, but i really appreciate it!

this is a simple project for the arduino.
a start button
an LED or maybe a few
a motor, looks like a servo.

the real work is in building the rest of the unit.
if you want to start small, you could use a couple soda bottles for the plastic.

do you have an Arduino of any type ?
buttons, LED's resistors ?
the motor seems to be rather large to be able to move that stuff.

If I had a wooden wheel that could turn and I mounted a couple of metal springs with a small gap between them close to the outside so that the pins would almost touch the wheel then a round head screw on that wheel could close the gap between the pins when the wheel turned it into place and open the gap when it turns more — that would make a position switch. You don’t need to count degrees to know when to stop turning.

I could turn the wheel with a small power-on/power-off DC motor that has a small rubber wheel on the shaft to friction drive against the larger wooden wheel, it gives the small motor leverage.

Look at a gum machine loaded with something like skittles or m&m’s and see how it dispenses only so much at a time. Could that work with a horizontal wheel that has a portion-sized hole all the way through? Or would a vertical wheel with portion size cutout work? Or maybe something like a sliding block could move back and forth?

If you want to see more what’s possible with limited simple motors search for Ralph Steiner’s film, Mechanical Principles from 1933. The translations from rotary to linear motion and changing rates go back to whole factories running off one big steam engine turning a lot of belt drives. The same techniques have been used in toys made since 2000 like the Furby. Get your teacher to watch that show and you might get a bit of above and beyond credit just from having watched it yourself.

InGame:
Hello Guys,
Please, I'm A Student working on a electro-mechanical Cereal dispenser too. I wonder if someone could help mi to make a vending machine like this Crunchomatic - Automatic Food Dispenser - Arduino Uno
Thanks