Arduino baseball thrower

Could you program an arduino to throw a baseball at 90 mph?

Sure. You can command a mechanical apparatus of some sort to drive a ball that fast.

You'd probably use a couple of motor-driven wheel/tire assemblies (say 13" or 14" size) turning in opposite directions, spaced just far enough apart so that a ball would fit between them. The Arduino commands a motor speed to give a 90MPH tangential velocity and then perhaps a solenoid that kicks the ball into the gap between the wheels.

This problem will present more of a mechanical challenge than a software one.

Search for Mythbusters videos. They did this a long time ago.

Thanks you two! I feel like it's way more feasible now, Thanks!

I think they were throwing tennis balls that are a bit more compressible. However, the same approach might work here as well, varying the air pressure in the tires, and the speed of course.

If you do attempt a spinning tire approach, be aware of how dangerous those tires will be to life and limb should you reach in to poke or retrieve a stuck ball; it would easily deglove or remove an entire arm without hesitation. If you try any other means (e.g. some sort of rotating arm etc) it too will have parts moving at high speed with a lot of energy. And, of course, the ball itself; a ball moving at 90mph will do serious injury to someone struck by it 60 feet away, possibly fatal if struck at a closer distance.

Put as much effort into safety (guards, motor interlocks etc) as you do into making a functional pitcher.

Take a look at whatever machine is used in batting cages. I wouldn't expect that those used by the public would throw at that speed, but it would be instructive to see how they work.

Think about how the machine will impart spin (if you want it). I'd guess that you can simply run one of the throwing wheels a bit faster. You may want to be able to change the orientation of the wheels so you can vary the direction of spin.

You might try searching the site - I vaguely recall someone building such a device for throwing tennis balls.

maybe you can use this and slow it down...

jack732:
Could you program an arduino to throw a baseball at 90 mph?

well, no. the Arduino is a microcontroller made of silicon, some metals and epoxy.

however, you can build a machine to discharge balls and you can program an Arduino to control the machine.

google DIY baseball machine and watch some youtube videos on people who have made them.

we cannot stress enough that serious bodily harm, possible death can occur if you do not put in all the correct safeties.

If you study machines, you can find that with enough work, time, parts, etc, you can not only pitch a fastball, but a curve, slider, etc.

as was mentioned, there are also tennis ball throwers. so, in your research study those machines as well.

well, no. the Arduino is a microcontroller made of silicon, some metals and epoxy.

Can't you just:

baseball.throw(90, MPH);

?

Guys guys, cmon, it's ME- Handsome Jack. I wouldn't design anything not safe..at least, ill make it safe for me...

Just kidding, but thank you all, this has been very informative and dave thanks for the video it does give me a few ideas but I think I may go with the simpler mechanical design you find at batting ranges that wildbill suggested.

aarg:
Can't you just:

baseball.throw(90, MPH);

?

sure.
how about.
money.make(1000000, USD) ;
dave....digging out a NANO to try it..... LOL

dave-in-nj:
maybe you can use this and slow it down...

World's Fastest Pitch - Supersonic Baseball Cannon - Smarter Every Day 242 - YouTube

They aimed for a bit more than 90 mph....

dave-in-nj:
sure.
how about.
money.make(1000000, USD) ;
dave....digging out a NANO to try it..... LOL

Be careful of integer overflow. You might end up owing money.