Arduino based bluetooth repeater

Hello,

I'm a software developer with extensive experience in software security; and now who would have guessed I need to build a Bluetooth range extender for one of my personal projects; I've done some research (as always) however; taking into account that I'm dealing with a field I realy have had no experience with what so ever (well I had large experience with BT on android platform).then still I've never in my life used arduino before.

ok here it goes; I need the arduino to receive both BLE and BL-standard data (preferably) from one device buffer it for a while and broadcast it further to other devices. It would be good if the buffer could keep data of 0-10MB (for BT standard yeah) in size; Please note I'm asking mainly for help with picking up the right hadrware (bluetooth modules) etc. software part I shall take care of.

also if someone could elaborate a little on the subject of the possibility of creating an insecure RFCOMM (no pairing) connection between such a module and android.

So the repeater does not work in the sense of regular wifi for ex. repeater; again; I need only advice related to the Hardware:)

Anyone?:)

I think you'll need a shoehorn first, to store 10MB of data in 2KB of SRAM.

considering that was not trolling what kind of shoehorn are we talking about:) ok a short note for further discussion: please provide some worthy input; suggestions; I could dive deep myself into subjects such as extending memory through SPI or using an SDCard (delay in delivery is not so important, though RAM-type memory would suit better); - but then I would n't be looking for help among boys who (I suppose?) know how to play this stuff. thank you Edit: and girls

considering that was not trolling what kind of shoehorn are we talking about:)

No, it wasn't trolling. It was a reality check.

rafalsk:
I need the arduino to receive both BLE and BL-standard data (preferably) from one device buffer it for a while and broadcast it further to other devices.

A BLE module drops back to plain vanilla bluetooth if the other party doesn’t talk BLE, so there is no need for another device for that but, if you don’t have control over reception, transmission or to whom, it may be necessary to have more than one module.

You may need to reconfigure on the fly but the HM-01 BLE is in AT mode whenever it is not in actual communication, so it is just a matter of Arduino controlling the power supply to temporarily break the connection. Your problem is to determine when that should be done, but that shouldn’t be hard.

The 10Mb shoehorn is a troll, and simply took advantage of you being a bit loose with the term “buffer”. Using an SD for this is easy, and the bleeding obvious.

Far more problematic, and what really needs to be talked about, is how you would communicate without pairing. It seems to be contrary to what bluetooth is all about. Whatever the problem really is there, it is probably a bigger problem at the android end, and you should address that first. I’m guessing here, but you may find that you are better off having Arduino listen on bluetooth but transmit on WiFi. Note that one reason why I say this is that I don’t know anything about WiFi, and you should talk to Surfer Tim or Zoomkat about it…

Nick_Pyner: Far more problematic, and what really needs to be talked about, is how you would communicate without pairing. It seems to be contrary to what bluetooth is all about.

I'm certainly no Bluetooth expert but I was under the assumption pairing was an essential part of the Bluetooth protocol. I don't know enough about BLE to know if there are ways to get around pairing with BLE.

I think you are quite expert enough to recognise the real problem - and where the real reality check lies. Bluetooth is bluetooth, BLE doesn't change that, and the 10Mb shoehorn is irrelevant claptrap.