Arduino based ic tester - help

Hi.
I need an ic tester for refrigerator pcb.
I'm thinking about an arduino based ic tester.
Is it possible?
If yes, how?
An extra shield or maybe an extra custom board?
I want it to be as simple as possible. But i have no idea what i have to search.
There are several tutorials, but they need full information about logic gates. I just need to find out if an ic is broken or not.
Every help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi,

What are the ICs? Thats part numbers.

The Arduino can do IC testing, but we need to know what ICs.

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

Do you want to test individual ICs, or a complete board? Very different approaches are required, depending on whether the Arduino has access to all pins of each IC, or only to a board.

Do you have a scope for checking signals?

Dear TomGeorge,
My intended ICs are:
programmable ICs (in home applications)
Processor ICs
Display controller ICs
Analog/Digital converters
lm234
555 or 741
regulators like 7805

Do I need to program arduino for each one?
and if I want to read about these, where is the start point?
I'm not a pro, obviously. so sorry if I cant explain more details.
and one more question: can I replace refrigerator pcb with an arduino? I mean creating a whole new plc for the refrigerator?
Thank you for your reply.

DrDiettrich:
Do you want to test individual ICs, or a complete board? Very different approaches are required, depending on whether the Arduino has access to all pins of each IC, or only to a board.

Do you have a scope for checking signals?

actually, my main interest is to test a complete board.
and about signals, I do not access to the datasheets of the board or ICs.

You need a dedicated program for almost every IC. Testing logic gates is quite easy, but the more functionality an IC has (counter, shift register...), the more complex and specific will be the testing program. Many years ago I built such a tester for the 74xx TTL series, that compares the outputs of two identical IC.

For testing analog IC you need,enough analog inputs and outputs, including programmable pots, voltage and current sources. Most probably you need multiple boards for testing an IC, each one dedicated to measuring a specific parameter.

An alternative refrigerator controller is another very different project. You have to know about all related sensors and actors, best a data sheet for each one, and a plan how to obtain input from the sensors, and how that input should affect the output to the actors (motor...).

I'd suggest that you start small, with the typical Arduino applications (reading buttons, controlling LEDs and motors...), before you dig deeper into more sophisticated projects. You must have at least an idea, of how a program should be coded, then we can help you in overcoming specific problems. If you don't have such an idea, you can ask for assistance in the Gigs and Collaboration forum section.

DrDiettrich:
You need a dedicated program for almost every IC. Testing logic gates is quite easy, but the more functionality an IC has (counter, shift register...), the more complex and specific will be the testing program. Many years ago I built such a tester for the 74xx TTL series, that compares the outputs of two identical IC.

For testing analog IC you need,enough analog inputs and outputs, including programmable pots, voltage and current sources. Most probably you need multiple boards for testing an IC, each one dedicated to measuring a specific parameter.

An alternative refrigerator controller is another very different project. You have to know about all related sensors and actors, best a data sheet for each one, and a plan how to obtain input from the sensors, and how that input should affect the output to the actors (motor...).

I'd suggest that you start small, with the typical Arduino applications (reading buttons, controlling LEDs and motors...), before you dig deeper into more sophisticated projects. You must have at least an idea, of how a program should be coded, then we can help you in overcoming specific problems. If you don't have such an idea, you can ask for assistance in the Gigs and Collaboration forum section.

Thanks a lot