Arduino Basics - Output Voltage

Hi there,

I'm quite new to the topic and need some guidance on which board to choose for my project.
Main question is regarding voltage. I need to connect the arduino to a clockwerk which is operated with 12V.
Is there a board which is able to provide this output voltage or is the setup only possible with a relay?

Thanks for your help,
C.

Your question is a bit confusing. What do you mean by "connect the arduino to a clockwerk"? what do you want to do? What do you expect the Arduino to do?

Most Arduino boards and clones run on 5V. The Arduino Nano and ESP8266 boards like the Wemos D1 Mini and NodeMCU run on 3V3. There may be others, but these are the boards I am familiar with. The data pins supply 3V3 or 5V depending on the board, at 20 to 40mA, again depending on the board.

If all you want to do is control a relay, then any of these will work. But since you don't say what you want the arduino to do I can't make any specific recommendations.

Yes, you'll need a relay, transistor, or MOSFET.

The regular Arduino works at 5V so that's the input/output voltage. (There are lower voltage versions but there are no microcontroller chips that run on higher voltage.)

There is a built-in voltage regulator so the board can be powered with 12V, with the onboard electronics running at 5V.

You can easily handle higher input voltages with a voltage divider (2 resistors) or an over-voltage protection circuit (one or 2 diodes and a resistor).

The Arduino can't directly supply enough current to directly-drive a relay coil but you an buy relay boards with a built-in driver. Or, there are solid state relays. Of course, whatever you choose needs to handle the current (Amperage) of whatever you're switching. (Any relay, MOSFET, or transistor will be able to handle the 12V.)