Arduino Bluejacking

Hi all,

I'm looking to create a University project centred around bluejacking, by sending nearby devices an image or text via Bluetooth. I currently have an Arduino IoT 33 board to work with.

I am just wondering about the feasibility of being able to do this with Arduino and if anybody has some resources/links to existing code or tutorials on how to create something like this.

Thanks in advance!

Bluejacking is the sending of unsolicited messages over Bluetooth to Bluetooth-enabled devices

You may find that members of this forum are less than willing to help with malicious projects.

Perhaps I was not specific enough in my initial post, there's no malicious intent behind this project. We simply have an exhibition going on and would like to scan for people who have their devices set to discoverable to send them information about the event via bluetooth, bluejacking just seemed as close to what I could find as to the sort of thing I am looking to do

Stolem:
Perhaps I was not specific enough in my initial post, there’s no malicious intent behind this project. We simply have an exhibition going on and would like to scan for people who have their devices set to discoverable to send them information about the event via bluetooth, bluejacking just seemed as close to what I could find as to the sort of thing I am looking to do

As the general public, I would find this very very annoying and make a big public stink.

Stolem:
Would like to scan for people who have their devices set to discoverable to send them information about the event via bluetooth

How can you be sure that the owners of the phone have made a deliberate choice to set their phone to receive unsolicited messages ?

Isn't there a mode with BLE which is intended to provide information messages to nearby BLE devices (phones, mostly) whose users have enabled the receipt of such messages?

I don't know if that is covered by the term Bluejacking - it is the first time I have come across it.

...R

First time here too. Bluejacks was a pop group a long time ago. Black Jack I have also heard about….. _Yellow Jackets.... Metall Jackets....

srnet:
How can you be sure that the owners of the phone have made a deliberate choice to set their phone to receive unsolicited messages ?

unsolicited = SPAM

It's unlikely that this will work at all. When BT first came out as a smartphone feature, it was an instant problem but in the many years since, most phones default BT settings have been locked down. It's gone the way of "wardriving" for open wifi access points.

I know an artist that has a setup at her exhibits where the viewer can do something on their smart phone and listen to a narrative about that particular piece. Maybe that is something you should look into.

ieee488:
unsolicited = SPAM

sp. "unsolicited == SPAM "

Sheesh. Some people.

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL:
sp. "unsolicited == SPAM "

Sheesh. Some people.

okay, so it a few seconds for that sink in

:smiley:

You really have to wonder what this is really all about, and what sort of "university" is behind this. I'm quite sure that any device I have ever owned is only visible to paired devices, that is what pairing is about, and, when specifically made visible to all nearby devices, will only stay visible for about two minutes and, I imagine only in the privacy of one's own bedroom. So, who walks around with a discoverable device, waiting to be invaded by this guy?

One of the big ideas for bluetooth when it first came out (at lest in the marketing crowd), was that the short range would allow people to be some what offered/spammed with deals and ads from stores that they were walking past. I don't think that part panned out.

zoomkat:
One of the big ideas for bluetooth when it first came out (at lest in the marketing crowd), was that the short range would allow people to be some what offered/spammed with deals and ads from stores that they were walking past. I don’t think that part panned out.

I have always been under the impression that that is the idea behind BLE rather than the original Bluetooth.

…R