Arduino BlueTooth ++ Max/MSP

Hello! Can anybody point me in the right direction? I’ve been using a USB Arduino for a while now and have been very successful interfacing it with Max/MSP [both input and output] using Simple Message System. However, now i have a project that requires a BlueTooth Arduino board… i can’t find any info about how to go about communicating w/ Arduino BT from Max/MSP wirelessly. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

.alex.
http://cliplead.blogspot.com/

hi

it's exactly the same procedure as for a regular USB Arduino, with a couple exceptions: - serial speed must be 115200 - you can't use pin 7 of the Arudino, as it is used for the BT module reset, and - of course, you connect via Bluetooth port rather than USB. There are instructions on how to set this up properly in the Playground.

D

cool! So for example if i wanted to control the blinking of an LED from Max/MSP, the arduino bt would show up as a "virtual serial port" in max? There is no other bluetooth specific arduino code necessary?

thanks

.a.

hi

first you have to set up your computer to recognize the Bluetooth connection as a serial port, as in the Playground tutorials. Then, in Max you just configure the serial port... send a 'print' message to the serial object. You get the port name (say, "b") and then add it to the object name. for example:

serial a 115200

If I remember correctly. If you download the Arduino2Max package it is set up correctly in there. But yeah, that's about it!

D

sweet! thank you for being so helpful. The trouble is that I have to program this project without a bluetooth arduino and send it off to some collaborators in another country! So the more info the better because i have no ability to troubleshoot this myself. Thanks again for your help.

.alex.

hey

you should get yourself a BT module and make sure it works; sending an Arduino NG to someone and asking them to port it to BT could be a bit of a crapshoot... getting the BT going on a PC, for example, can sometimes be complicated, as it won't work on low port numbers. On a Mac it works well.

D

you're right, but unfortunately i don't have the funds for a bt right now. Luckily a windows computer will not be used, only mac, so there shouldn't be much back and forth troubleshooting.

hi there! Am new to the whole arduino business but need to get a blutooth version of the board for a university project. I'm trying to design a wireless MIDI controller, including several bend sensors and switches to contrrol virtual synths (mainstream stuff such as NI reaktor). I have managed to fing out answers for pretty much all my questions exept this one:

How do I convert the data sent by the arduino to a language that the synths will understand on a virtual port that the virtual synth will see? I am guessing this might be possible through max/msp (which i have and know the basics of, luckily)

Still, has anyone done it yet? remember I'm only looking to find out about the BT arduino, as the "wired" versions way to do that is well documented...