Arduino Bootloader basic questions

This is my first experience with trying to upload bootloaders and I'm having issues.
I'm use a USBASP into an adruino UNO. I'm powering the board with the USBASP.

First some basic questions:

1. When you upload a bootloader to an Arduino UNO, do you need a sketch, or do you just select 'Tools\Burn Bootloader'.
  2. What bootloader file is being uploaded if you don't select a .hex file from the 'Sketch/Add File..Arduino\Hardware\bootloaders\arduino\filename.."? Does it default to some standard bootloader, or does it upload nothing and fail?

One error message I receive after an attempt is this:

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.

HOWEVER, when I upload a sketch using the USBASP via 'File\Upload Using Programmer, the sketch seems to load. I've been using the blink led sketch to confirm this.

The other issue is when I go back to a plain usb cable from the Arduino UNO to the PC, I can no longer upload sketches using the standard 'Upload Sketch' option. I get the error message:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

This is my first experience with trying to upload bootloaders and I'm having issues.
I'm use a USBASP into an adruino UNO. I'm powering the board with the USBASP.

First some basic questions:

1. When you upload a bootloader to an Arduino UNO, do you need a sketch, or do you just select 'Tools\Burn Bootloader'.

No sketch at all, the burning of the bootloader (and it's fuse settings) is done via the tools\burn bootloader action.

1. What bootloader file is being uploaded if you don't select a .hex file from the 'Sketch/Add File..Arduino\Hardware\bootloaders\arduino\filename.."? Does it default to some standard bootloader, or does it upload nothing and fail?
    When you select the board type in the IDE menu that will tell the burn bootloader command where to go and what the name of the bootloader hex file to use is.

Hi ,

I am also getting same error

when I try to burn bootloader.

can you help me with this.

Thanks

Regards,
Sam

The other issue is when I go back to a plain usb cable from the Arduino UNO to the PC, I can no longer upload sketches using the standard 'Upload Sketch' option. I get the error message:

This is because you have not burned the bootloader into Arduino.

The reason for the LED blink sketch got working is that you are not using the bootloader to burn your sketch to Arduino, instead you are uploading the sketch using the USB asp ISP.

Since burning bootloader into Arduino via USBasp returns an error to review the firmware, you may try to update the USBasp firmware with its latest update : USBasp - USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers - fischl.de