Arduino bootloader in commercial project

Hi all, I have been developing a custom board that uses an ATSAMD21, and I use the arduino zero bootloader to allow my customers to perform firmware updates when I release them.

Now my question is, can I use the arduino zero bootloader on my custom board and be able to commercially sell it? Thank you.

The Makefile has a reference to the license... https://github.com/arduino/ArduinoCore-samd/blob/master/bootloaders/zero/Makefile

Beyond that, talk to your lawyer.

Also, my understanding is that the SAM bootloader is a slightly modified version of Atmel's SAM-BA bootloader, which I believe is definitely allowed in commercial applications (it's built in to the larger SAM chips like Due's SAM3X)

Thank you guys for your help, my next question is about the VID/PID. Can I use the default VID and PID on the bootloader for my product? If I use the stock SAM-BA bootloader, can I use its default VID/PID? Thank you.

Can I use the default VID and PID on the bootloader for my product?

the Arduino VID/PID? No, you shouldn't ("may not") use that...

If I use the stock SAM-BA bootloader, can I use its default VID/PID?

Atmel MIGHT have an excecption that allows their VID/PID to be used for bootloading only, but it would certainly be better if you had your own. The whole VID thing is a big barrier for small-scale manufacturers.

westfw: the Arduino VID/PID? No, you shouldn't ("may not") use that...

Thank you for the clarifications, so if I understand correctly, even if I keep the arduino zero bootloader as is, without any modifications and without changing its name to my product name, I still cannot use it's VID/PID?

jojojijijojo: I still cannot use it's VID/PID?

I believe the license agreement between USB-IF and Atmel / Microchip / Arduino (everyone else) specifically forbids it. However, more than one vendor has snubbed USB-IF. And, there are certainly people who have "rolled the dice".

In any case, you need to direct your question to the appropriate party. The USB IDs belong to Atmel (and Arduino and AdaFruit and probably PJRC). You need to direct your question to them.

While you are waiting for a response, Microchip (aka Atmel) has a sublicensing program... http://www.microchip.com/usblicensing/ ...please let us know how you fare.