Arduino BT nightmare!  HELP!!!!ver urgent!!!

ok, here's my problem, just got my arduino bt, plugged in some batteries (overall I'm feeding 3*1.5V into it) and managed to pair it wih my powerbook via bluetooth. I've downloaded the Arduino software, and that's where the troubles begin: 1. which "tool/board" setting should i use? Arduino BT or ATMega168? 2.Which port should i use??? tty or cu ??? 3. I tried to change the baud rate to 115200, but i'm not sure it did anything...do i have to do something else to apply the baud rate change? 4. i've pretty much tried every setting available, but still having no luck uploading a program, all I get is "stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" message. I'm getting really scared the chip is fried, which would be a catastrophe seeing as I have a project due in 2 weeks...which means i have no time to reorder another arduino BT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! HELP!!!!

Hi to all. My problem is more or less similar to initial post. I got the Arduino BT and did the following steps before trying to upload sample code to change board name and password (http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/ChangeBtName):

1 - Installed board with a 2,9V power supply from DELTA
2 - Installed MS Bluetooth stack (on my laptop) instead of Toshiba - DELL Windows XP Laptop
3 - Paired Laptop with ARDUINOBT device with pre-loaded factory password
4 - Paired complete and 2 ports were added (COM 4 Outgoing ; COM 5 Incoming)
5 - Started Arduini IDE Alpha 10
6 - Board is selected by default
7 - IDE detects COMs and COM 4 is selected
8 - select monitor serial and set rate to 115k
9 - Load the ArduinoBTInitializationSketch
10- Compile and send via I/O

The result is the following:

=> the msdos window informs the bytes have been sent
Binary sketch size: 2814 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

=> and after a period of time i get the error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

NOTE 1: If i select the Arduino BT board option from menu i get a lot of warnigs. Here goes trace:

In file included from D:\tmp\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/WConstants.h:1,
from Firmata.cpp:31:
D:\tmp\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/wiring.h:60:1: warning: “abs” redefin
ed
In file included from Firmata.cpp:28:
d:/tmp/arduino-0010/hardware/tools/avr/bin/…/avr/include/stdlib.h:118:1: warnin
g: this is the location of the previous definition
Firmata.cpp: In member function ‘int FirmataClass::available()’:
Firmata.cpp:70: warning: no return statement in function returning non-void
Firmata.cpp:70: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
In file included from D:\tmp\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/WProgram.h:6,
from Stepper.cpp:48:
d:/tmp/arduino-0010/hardware/tools/avr/bin/…/avr/include/avr/signal.h:36:2: war
ning: #warning “This header file is obsolete. Use <avr/interrupt.h>.”
In file included from D:\tmp\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/WProgram.h:8,
D:\tmp\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/wiring.h:60:1: warning: “abs” redefin
ed
In file included from D:\tmp\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/WProgram.h:1,
d:/tmp/arduino-0010/hardware/tools/avr/bin/…/avr/include/stdlib.h:118:1: warnin
g: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from utility\twi.c:25:
d:/tmp/arduino-0010/hardware/tools/avr/bin/…/avr/include/avr/signal.h:36:2: war
ning: #warning "This header file is obsolete. Use <avr/interrupt.h>.

NOTE2: My Laptop has other java VM’s since i’m using eclipse with J2ME plugin for Mobile applications
Development with Java/BLuetooth

Would appreciate feedback on the matter.

Thanks,
v4sk0

Right, I have now found a solution to this transfer problem (actually to be fair i didn't come up with it myself, some other genius got it sorted in another post in this very forum!) Anyway, what seems to work is to press the reset button on the arduino and almost instantly after, press the "Upload to IO Board" button. that works everytime for me, but some of the guys in the other post were still having issues with that. Still seems like a good place to start. Anyway, I dumped the simple "blink" sketch, seeing as it's the simplest setup ever (i could figure it out, so any monkey with an arduino and an LED can do it too). Give it a go! i keep my fingers crossed for all the guys with Arduino BT's out there!

Hello

When you select a board from the menu, the IDE changes the target processor (between atmega8 and 168 at the moment) and recompiles all the libraries, generating all those warnings... I guess in version 11 we should add a note not to worry about the warnings...

Timing is also an issue with some computers, doing what shnex says could solve the problem in a lot of cases. I have to say that the BT arduino tends to work better on a Mac than windows....

massimo

Thanks. It works fine with the reset on the board before uploading.

Right, I have now found a solution to this transfer problem (actually to be fair i didn’t come up with it myself, some other genius got it sorted in another post in this very forum!)
Anyway, what seems to work is to press the reset button on the arduino and almost instantly after, press the “Upload to IO Board” button. that works everytime for me, but some of the guys in the other post were still having issues with that. Still seems like a good place to start.
Anyway, I dumped the simple “blink” sketch, seeing as it’s the simplest setup ever (i could figure it out, so any monkey with an arduino and an LED can do it too).
Give it a go! i keep my fingers crossed for all the guys with Arduino BT’s out there!

There you go: 2 leds simulating access control. 8-) Next stage is mobile phone side delepoment (and Arduino). The serial port monitor is very nice since it can simulate external events, like sending access control information to a remote server.

Cheers, v4sk0

Hello

When you select a board from the menu, the IDE changes the target processor (between atmega8 and 168 at the moment) and recompiles all the libraries, generating all those warnings... I guess in version 11 we should add a note not to worry about the warnings...

Timing is also an issue with some computers, doing what shnex says could solve the problem in a lot of cases. I have to say that the BT arduino tends to work better on a Mac than windows....

massimo

I guess in version 11 we should add a note not to worry about the warnings…

Or, you know, fix the warnings… (Hey, I’m just putting it out there as a suggestion… :smiley: )

–Phil.

hi,

I get the same error :
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

The sync never works.
Even when i tried to push the reset button on my arduino before or after the upload.
and i did change in the preference.txt the line

upload.verbose = false to 
upload.verbose = true

Does someone know what does the resp=0x51 means ?

I hope this helps:

I'm running a BT off of my Macbook and it's fine - in fact I have 3 BT boards and all work just great. This is what I do to get them working.

1) Pair the device: I find that the pairing is a little temperamental so you should enter into the Mac OSX bluetooth preferences panel and select the board (even if it's paired) and hit the browse button to check if it's still active. If you get a reply quickly you'll know it is - a good first step.

If you aren't getting it to respond in step one, unplug a battery and then re-power the board, or alternatively hit the board's round reset button.

2) Check your serial connection: Go into the edit serial dialog within the bluetooth preferences environment to see if your BT has formed a serial connection - if no connections list then hit the + button - one should form.

3) Quit processing: Sometimes processing seems to effect the arduino IDE (development environment).

After quitting processing run the IDE (I use 10), load your code, test it, then send it to the board. Each of my BT boards require me to hit the reset button immediately prior to hitting the code upload button in the IDE.

4) Don't give up: Try waiting for different lengths of time before uploading your code.

5) Finally: To see if you're receiving data from the BT hit the serial monitor button. Note that I've actually found that running the serial monitor at 9600 while the BT runs at its native baud seems to work on a Mac so you needn't be too worried about setting the serial monitor baud any higher.

Goodluck

What do you mean exactly when you say "quit processing"? tnx

I think he means this kind of Processing: it's the software the Arudino IDE was based on.

D

I'm also having problems with my ArduinoBT, using an iMac running Leopard.

The ArduinoBT shows up as paired, but 'Not Connected' and nothing I do seems to get it connected (except when I run 'Update Device Services' from the Bluetooth System Preferences, when it flicks to Connected for about 0.5 seconds then flips back to Not Connected).

Does anyone know if it should be showing as Connected or not? It does form a serial port though.

Finally… got some sense from my Aduino BT (months later). I gave up trying with the iMac, but it now just about works with my new Sony Vaio running Windows.

The IDE still gives me errors, which suggest the transfer hasn’t worked, but in fact sketches are reaching the Arduino. So, perserverence paid off. And I can now progress with my project!