Arduino + Camera with electric trigger and SD

Hi there,

I'm working on a project where I need to use a camera to take photos. I browsed several topics on forum, but didn't find anything that will satisfy me. Most solutions use either ArduCam board or several pinouts. What I need is simply controlling external camera with 1 or 2 pins - Arduino just sends a peak to camera and it takes photo and saves it on it's internal SD or memory. Does anyone know about such solution?

Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:

Sarachiel:
Hi there,

I'm working on a project where I need to use a camera to take photos. I browsed several topics on forum, but didn't find anything that will satisfy me. Most solutions use either ArduCam board or several pinouts. What I need is simply controlling external camera with 1 or 2 pins - Arduino just sends a peak to camera and it takes photo and saves it on it's internal SD or memory. Does anyone know about such solution?

Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:

It sounds like you missed this discussion: Control canon 60D shutter? - #12 by MichaelMeissner - Project Guidance - Arduino Forum.

In general, you would use two optocouplers between the Arduino and camera, one to control the focus action, and one to control the shoot action (some cameras require both focus and shoot to be connected to the ground wire to shoot, some do not). Depending on your camera, you may need a camera specific cable (you can order such cables for other shutter releases on ebay that have standard audio connectors on one end, and the camera bits on the other).

If you are shooting for a while, you may need to worry about whether the camera's batteries have enough power to last while you are shooting, unless using external A/C to power the camera is an option. You also need to make sure the camera does not go to sleep.

If you are shooting outdoors, you may need to think about protecting the camera from weather. This site is full of people who use trail cameras to track wildlife (and mod existing cameras to be trailcams): http://trailcam.com/

There are at least two commercial companies with Arduino shields if you want something more elaborate (and the source code is available from both of them):

If you are shooting video instead of stills, some DSLRs do not provide an interface to start video via shutter release, instead you have to press a button.