I have an Inpiron17 using Windows 8.0 and I used it successfully to run several programs on my arduino, but suddenly it no longer loaded programs and sent me to can't load program tips from the Arduino Guide. Everything there was alright - I had already written a downloaded several programs. So I looked at the device manager and found that the Uno was listed as USB UART - and right-clicked it - clicked 'troubleshoot' - and after a while my problem was resolved - and I could load new sketches. And the it stopped again. Applying the same solution resulted in no solution - the computer told me to plug my arduino into a USB 2.0 drive - and then later told me the Uno doesn't work with USB 3.0 devices. Very frustrating when I finally have some time to devote to it!
USB 3.0 is sometimes flaky, I don't really understand why. They didn't exactly nail the backwards compatibility; I've had a surprising number of problems with it - enough that I have a USB 2.0 hub stuck to my monitor, which has a usb 3.0 hub built in... (no arduino specific problems that I can remember, but lots of devices just refuse to work in USB 3.0 ports, or work once and then stop - at least on my system)
Sticking a $3 (yup, they're that cheap now) usb 2.0 hub between the port and the device is enough to make it behave normally.
DrAzzy: USB 3.0 is sometimes flaky, I don't really understand why. They didn't exactly nail the backwards compatibility; I've had a surprising number of problems with it - enough that I have a USB 2.0 hub stuck to my monitor, which has a usb 3.0 hub built in...
Hm. Is that a chipset dependent problem, maybe? I've not had a single one, ever.
Definitely could be.
Not really a valid "general statement." It isn't working for you and whatever chipset your computer has in it.
My Arduino boards work fine when I plug them into my USB 3.0 ports.
It is true, some people have had some issues, but that happens any time a new standard comes out. Especially one where the physical layer is changed as much as it is in 3.0.
I think I have this problem. Error message in device manager says “request device descriptor failed”. I have 2 Dell laptops, one is only 1 year old, both Windows 10 and both usb3.0. My board won’t work on either. So I have to order a USB 2.0 hub now and see if it works that way. This should be highlighted more in the troubleshooting areas and Arduino should get this working smoother with 3.0.
You found the 2015 post...There have been a lot more about USB 3.0 issues so it is pretty well known about. As this OLD post mentions it is not all USB 3.0 just some.
It is also not just Arduino devices that are hit with this issue either. If you search for "usb 3.0 issues" you will find it affects many more items. IIRC it is also documented on Arduino GITHUB and a few other developer sites too.
So I got my usb 2.0 hub and issue is the same....... now what.
Did you ever find a solution