Arduino CD Case Hologram

Hello all! You know that CD case hologram thing? People make a plastic pyramid out of a CD case and it acts as a projector for a "hologram:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YWTtCsvgvg

You put the pyramid on your phone and the video from the phone screen makes a hologram inside the pyramid.

So, I'm wondering if I can do that with Arduino, perhaps?

I would need the Arduino to play a video file off of an SD card or something. The Arduino would he hooked up to a screen, which would display the "hologram" video just like the smartphone does in the video above. How would I do this?

Thanks! -SQ

The Arduino doesn't have a video output, so maybe try a Raspberry Pi.

Does it really work? That YouTube video looked faked to me!

Not fake but not a hologram either. It is just four images projected onto each surface of the "screen" so that you see a different image depending on what side of the screen you are looking at.

PaulRB: Does it really work? That YouTube video looked faked to me!

Yes.

Grumpy_Mike: Not fake but not a hologram either. It is just four images projected onto each surface of the "screen" so that you see a different image depending on what side of the screen you are looking at.

Yup.

DVDdoug: The Arduino doesn't have a video output, so maybe try a Raspberry Pi.

Are you sure there is absolutly no way to do this without Pi? Could I make the Arduino control some kind of external movie player device?

I have no experience with Pi so I am a little reluctant to use Pi. Could I have an Arduino control the Pi and the Pi control the video? Because this device is already doing other things, with an Arduino.

-SQ

Could I make the Arduino control some kind of external movie player device?

You could but what would this device be? And it's not actually doing it on an Arduino is it?

Could I have an Arduino control the Pi and the Pi control the video?

Yes, it is not difficult. Just plug the Arduino into one of the Pi's USB ports and read serial data from it.

Grumpy_Mike: And it's not actually doing it on an Arduino is it?

That doesn't really matter to me. It's just that I have other aspects of the project controlled via Arduino. So I would need to CONTROL the video with Arduino. The Arduino itself does not necessarily have to play the video, it just has to CONTROL the video. (When playback starts, stops, etc.) All this thing is doing is displaying pre recorded video.

Grumpy_Mike: Yes, it is not difficult. Just plug the Arduino into one of the Pi's USB ports and read serial data from it.

Seriously? Damm. Where would I find necessary tutorials to get me started with Pi, and where would I find out how to do this particular thing (Play video files based on Arduino) BTW, I don't even know Python. (I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of Pi.)

-SQ

Hi,

I would need the Arduino to play a video file off of an SD card or something. The Arduino would he hooked up to a screen, which would display the "hologram" video just like the smartphone does in the video above. How would I do this?

What you really want is:

• Arduino to some stuff first AND
  • Arduino when some input commands occur does some other stuff, while doing the first stuff.
  • The other stuff is to CONTROL a [u]VIDEO PLAYING Device[/u], ie, STOP,PLAY etc.

The CD pyramid of 3D is just an end result?

Tom... :) What VIDEO PLAYER and how can you control it?

You also need a program to create the 4 views of the object, and to merge these streams into one. This may be the biggest challenge with such a project.

You don't need to code the Raspberry Pi in Python, virtually all languages are avaliable. For playing video on receipt of a serial message I would use the Processing language.

Grumpy_Mike: You don't need to code the Raspberry Pi in Python, virtually all languages are avaliable. For playing video on receipt of a serial message I would use the Processing language.

I don't mean to be annoying, but... Could you direct me to some turorials on how to play video? Also how do I get a little monitor? And how interface with Arduino?

Couldn't I... I don't know... Isn't there like an MP4 module for ARDUINO? I feel like there must be SOMETHING!

playing-various-video There are lots of small screens as well.

Mind you this will cost you more than a small Androide tablet.

If you find a Arduino module that will play a video file at any resolution so as to be a recognisable image then tell me.

I did see YouTube demo of someone claiming to play a video from an SD card on an Arduino but you could hardly make out anything as the resolution was so poor.

Grumpy_Mike: playing-various-video There are lots of small screens as well.

Mind you this will cost you more than a small Androide tablet.

If you find a Arduino module that will play a video file at any resolution so as to be a recognisable image then tell me.

Thanks! I will look into that. Also, (not to be annoying) but about the whole "not using Pi" theory here. I'm simply wondering if there is anyway to have the Arduino control... say... a DVD player. Or a MP4 player. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/ACEE-DEAL-Classic-Digital-Viewing/dp/B01KJOGPPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485812410&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mp4&psc=1 Or this: https://www.amazon.com/Lary-intel-Music-Player-Screen/dp/B01JIH9WPE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1485812457&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=movie+player&psc=1

Is that a thing? I feel like that's a thing. Right? Maybe? -SQ

I'm simply wondering if there is anyway to have the Arduino control... say... a DVD player.

Maybe it depends on if there is a way to control it with an Arduino. But in no way is that doing it with an Arduino.

Is that a thing?

No, not an Arduino thing.

Grumpy_Mike: No, not an Arduino thing.

Well, in that case: Let me dive right in.

1. I shall use these instructions to set up my Pi: http://www.imore.com/how-get-started-using-raspberry-pi

2. I shall use these instructions to play video on the pi: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/44527/playing-various-video-formats-in-raspbian-on-an-rpi-3-b AND https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/video/

3. Now, the question becomes. How do I program the Arduino to tell the Pi when to start playing the video? (And which video to play)

4. What kindof little screen/monitor do I use? Will this little module plug directly into the Pi HDMI/Video port? It has to be about the dimensions of a large phone screen.

Yeah. So my question is, what do I do for steps 3 and 4? And will the resources I found for steps 1 and 2 work with my project?

Thank you so much for all the support so far! I really need help as Pi for me is a daunting task! -SQ

Oh, and also. Audio! I need to hear Audio! (The audio that is contained within the movie files. Ya know, not just graphics of the movie file, the audio too.)

You just plug the Arduino into the USB port of the Pi. Then in the language of your choice you enable serial communications and talk between the Pi and the Arduino. You can send the file name you want to play as a string or better a char array.

The only thing that plugs into the Pi's display socket is the official Pi display. Display Most other things plug into the HDMI. However a Google search brings up things like this Small display But maybe it is too small. There is a headphone jack for the sound.

I might be naive, but are there higher speed Arduino-esque boards (such as the 101, Zero, and Teensy) that are significantly faster than the Uno. Or all those non-AVR boards ... Are any of those capable of video processing?

Is the Pi's dominance a user base size issue with lots of code and support, or is the Raspberry Pi actually the best solution for video processing and presentation at it's accessibility level?

Video presentation requires a video chip, video RAM, and fast video stream sources (SSD...). If a board is not designed for integration or already includes these devices, it can act only as a remote control for such a separate video player.

The Pi is built on a chip who's original purpose was for a TV set top box. So it supports the playing of video right in the heart of the chip.

Chips that were not designed for such a purpose have to do a lot of work in software to do what the Pi can easily do with it's built in hardware.

The only fly in the ointment is that it uses Linux which can be ( most of the time ) a pain in the butt especially when it comes to real time processing.