Arduino Client , VB.Net Server

Hi peeps,

I've got a little project on the go and was wondered what the best way would be to approach it. I need to make a few time units activated via a RF ID card that talk to a PC connected to a database. Below is a list of the items I will be using.

Arduino Uno
LCD Shield
RF Reader Shield
ENC28J60 Network Module
PC with a database

I have played about with the above and got them all working together by moving pins and using some example code so I'm happy with that so far.

What I want the unit to do is ever 30 seconds send a network communication to a server wrote in vb.net which will answer with the current time. (this serves two purposes, it will let the server know the clockunit is connected and working and it will update the clock unit with the current time).

When the RFID is read, it sends it's number to the server which responses with a persons name (pulled of a database) and also if the person is IN or OUT.

I'm thinking the Arduino is the client and PC is the server but that's as far as I've got to be honest. I'm unsure if a vb.net webserver is the way to go or if infact something else would be better.

Any help / example code / ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

I'm thinking the Arduino is the client and PC is the server but that's as far as I've got to be honest.

I'm thinking the same thing.

I'm unsure if a vb.net webserver is the way to go or if infact something else would be better.

This suggests to me, then, that you don't know enough about client/server architecture to be creating a web server using VB.

I'd suggest that you install Apache (free), mySQL (free), and PHP (same price as the others), to set up a proper server and database. The Arduino will create a GET request that executes a PHP script on the server (handled by Apache) that performs the database look-up (or insert or update or whatever).

There are plenty of examples around for doing this. If you can't find something, or get stuck, ask again, and I'll find the PHP scripts that I use to query, update, or insert.

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the reply. I don't have the option of installing them services so was looking to use a standalone vb.net program linked to a ms access database.. all standalone and could be run from a single folder. I've coded in vb.net before, it's just the first bit I'm struggling with.

thanks,

Steve

it's just the first bit I'm struggling with.

What bit is that?

The problem that you will need to deal with is that the Arduino as client will be making a GET request. Typically, GET requests are handled by the httpd process. If you don't have a httpd process running, nothing will respond to the Arduino's request.