Arduino compatability

Hi all

I bought olimexino nano gsm shield is it compatible to arduino please help

Hi,
Can you post a link to the item, so we can check its specifications?

Tom.... :slight_smile:

thank you

refiloekunene:
Hi all

I bought olimexino nano gsm shield is it compatible to arduino please help

That's the specification as written by the manufacturer:

OLIMEXINO-NANO-GSM is a GSM/GPRS/Bluetooth 3.0 shield for OLIMEXINO-NANO

The Olimexino-Nano is based on the Atmega-32U4 microcontroller, so it should be software compatible with the Arduino Leonardo and Arduino Micro boards.

But if you use your eyes and look, you can easily find out that the two stackable headers on a Olimexino-Nano are NOT MECHANICALLY COMPATIBLE with any Arduino board.

Mechanical compability is not an issue , i mean everyone can manipulate pins i am just worried in terms of software and howto

Hi,

I think this bit if you read the page says it all.

SOFTWARE
Arduino library with examples(GSM call, hang up and SMS read, send)
Arduino UART bridge example with OLIMEXINO-NANO
SIM800H firmware update resources

They even have EXAMPLES for you to try.

Tom..... :confused:

refiloekunene:
Mechanical compability is not an issue , i mean everyone can manipulate pins i am just worried in terms of software and howto

As the software provided for that module is designed for Atmega-32U4 microcontroller, there should be no general problem to use it with either an Arduino Leonardo or a Arduino Micro after creating a pin compatible wiring with the module.

An issue might be the voltage supply: As the manufacturer writes, the NANO-GSM cannot be powered from USB and it is strongly recommended to use the LIPO-Battery/Charger Module "Olimexino Nano Bat" to supply voltage 3.4-4.4V for the module with a peak current of 2.0A. Also this battery/charger module is only mechanically compatible with the Olimexino Nano and not with any of the Arduino boards.

@jurs thank you , so what would be the suitable GSM module for arduino mega

refiloekunene:
@jurs thank you , so what would be the suitable GSM module for arduino mega

I have no own experiences with GSM/GPRS and Arduino.

But eBay article number 221176159800 "SIM900-Quad-band-GSM-GPRS-Shield-for-Arduino-UNO-MEGA-Leonardo" from a China vendor should be directly stackable and usable on an Arduino MEGA2560. Of course, an extra voltage supply providing 2A peak current is also required, but that could be a simple power adapter.

If you need faster delivery than 3-6 weeks, you probably can find a vendor in your country for faster delivery.

I think that such a shield is much more compatible for an Atmega2560 board than the module provided by Olimexino for Olimexino-Nano board.

From what I can see at the Olimexino pages I'd better use "Olimexino-Nano board" and "Olixemino Nano Bat" module combined with the "Olimexino Nano GSM" module only. And I'd try the SIM900 Shield combined with Arduino MEGA2560. Also for the shields some demonstration code made for Arduino is available.