Arduino Compatible(Eleven)

I bought Freetronics Eleven(Arduino Compatible) and 1 spare atmega328p with bootloader. I installed everything and at first tried to just upload the blink sketch and it works fine. Meaning I have used the right com port etc. Now I took out the chip that comes with the Eleven and replaced it with the spare atmega328p but how come when I upload the same sketch I'm getting this error.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Please Help.

From where did you get the "spare" chip with bootloader?

From Jaycar. same where I bought the Eleven. Shouldn't it suppose to be just replace the chip in and it will work?

Certainly should, if it was advertised as having the (same) bootloader.

Have you replaced the original and verified that it still works?

(I am so far happy with the chips I bought on eBay - checked by replacing on a "Uno" clone.)

Yes I did and it works. Do you know what can possibly the problem?

Not at that rate, I am afraid - if it has the bootloader, it should work.

I trust - given that it has the extra label which might be confusing - that you put it in the right way round ...

Yes I did. That's why Im very confused because I dont know what's wrong. It is brand new aswell so I havent done anything to it at all just a simple blink sketch. What are the causes of this error? I might have miss something out. The port is at COM 3, the programmer is AVRISP mkII. the board is Arduino Uno(said use this for Eleven). Did I do something wrong?

It is brand new aswell so I havent done anything to it at all just a simple blink sketch. What are the causes of this error?

The original board & original 328 chip works. The "spare" chip does not work. The original chip works again when inserted into the board.

Opinion: The vendor 'forgot' to load the bootloader, loaded the wrong bootloader, or the bootloader/uC is corrupt, or the 328P-PU fuses were not properly set.

Lots can go wrong in merchandising these things. You could set the compatible up for ArduinoISP and flash the chip using InCircuitProgramming. Or you can have the vendor replace with a known-good chip. If you learn how to do this yourself, you can buy the blank chips and roll-your-own in the future. If you just need a spare... up to you.

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?id=11635 see the RBBB section.

Ray

Shock: From Jaycar. same where I bought the Eleven. Shouldn't it suppose to be just replace the chip in and it will work?

Yes it should. You can return the chip to Jaycar for an exchange or email support@freetronics.com for a replacement.