Arduino compiles veeeery slooowwly if used by more than one user at a time

Hello, I am using Windows Multipoint Server 2012 to teach kids programming.
Arduino does not work on this system when more than one user tries to compile. It compiles and uploads very slowly or throws this after message: uploaded, though no communication was commenced:

Binary sketch size: 1 662 bytes (of a 258 048 byte maximum) - 0% used
Minimum Memory usage: 11 bytes
avrdude: stk500v2_recv(): checksum error
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0x01 != 0x00
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

I suspect Java. Anybody want to help out? Because I will either have to buy 10 laptops now or move on to another controller, which would be sad really.

Thanks!

No experience with Windows Multipoint Server 2012, but wikipedia tells 10 is max #users.
Questions that arise are:
How much memory do you have per user?
How many cores per user?
Is the IDE also slow when editing?

When I compile on my win7-I5 2 cores go to 50/60% when compiling.

ptah,

Similarly, I've no experience with Windows Server newer than 2k3.
I can tell you however, that you can program for Arduinos using a Raspberry Pi - the Arduino IDE is available for it.

I bought a single board, and had it delivered to my door in about a week for free. Total cost? ~$42 Australian.
You could kill two birds with that stone - 10 cheap computers, 10 (reasonably) cheap other boards.

Which reminds me of a joke -
Why did the woman throw a frozen turkey out the window when Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were walking by?
She was dyslexic and had hoped to kill two stones with one bird..

@enhzflep
Raspberry PI sounds like a good idea, do you install the linux IDE? (do you have a link ?)

@robtillart - I've certainly found the RasPi to be an enjoyable way to spend one's time.

I haven't installed the Arduino IDE on it yet, due to my low bandwidth internet connection (data from mobile phone plan) and the need to install the java runtime to do so. I'm trying to support 4 computers with the same 5gb/6 weeks, so haven't found the need to install it there as well as the other 3 computers yet.

It is a Linux based IDE, albeit one that comes with AVR GCC specific to the RasPi (gcc is native, so needs ARM instructions - the Arduino IDE is java)

There's two basic ways to do it.

1. Use the Synaptic Package Manager - 'Start' menu->Other->Synaptic Package Manager : Search : Arduino
  2. From the command line (terminal) "sudo apt-get install arduino"

I also heartily recommend using the Code::Blocks IDE for arduino work. There's great instructions on doing this with both stand-alone installs of Code::Blocks and for an all-in-one Code::Blocks Arduino Edition for Windows platforms only. I'm currently using Code::Blocks on all 4 computers - Win7, WinXP, Linux Mint r14 and the Raspberry Pi.

More info on using CB for Arduino available here: CodeBlocks Arduino IDE | ArduinoDev.com

robtillaart:
No experience with Windows Multipoint Server 2012, but wikipedia tells 10 is max #users.
Questions that arise are:
How much memory do you have per user?
How many cores per user?
Is the IDE also slow when editing?

When I compile on my win7-I5 2 cores go to 50/60% when compiling.

Hello, thank you for your thoughts but this Win version uses memory and CPU commonly, without allocation. CPU is not loaded at all when compiling gets stuck. Even if it would be the case of allocation, I have 16GB and no more than 9 users, i7.

enhzflep:
ptah,

Similarly, I've no experience with Windows Server newer than 2k3.
I can tell you however, that you can program for Arduinos using a Raspberry Pi - the Arduino IDE is available for it.

I bought a single board, and had it delivered to my door in about a week for free. Total cost? ~$42 Australian.
You could kill two birds with that stone - 10 cheap computers, 10 (reasonably) cheap other boards.

Which reminds me of a joke -
Why did the woman throw a frozen turkey out the window when Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were walking by?
She was dyslexic and had hoped to kill two stones with one bird..

Thank you, this is a very good idea, especially as I have one R Pi laying around and was contemplating starting courses with it for novices too!
I'll try that out definitely, should be highly fun!
Then I'll only need hdmi to vga cables and power cables it seems.

Thanks a lot for this idea!

I am adding interesting additional information:

Arduino fails to compile when running from the same location at the same time by different users. The weird detailed output: Arduino launched by different users from the same location - Pastebin.com

However, I have copied the whole folder to individual Documents folder of each user. This time all of them (tested 3) have managed to compile and upload the sketch!

But weirdly.
One user compiles and download at unbelievable speed, done in 2s. Though with a strange error about failed checksum, but the program works: Upload fails checksum, program works - Pastebin.com
The other two compiles for about 4 minutes and them upload successfully. This means only 10 compiles / 40 minutes. A bit low for a lesson but at least works. One of those that compile for 4 minutes output Checksum mismatch also, the other gives no errors.

Thanks for looking into this.