Arduino connecting to many serial devices (RS-232)

Hi,

I am willing to learn and use arduino for my projects.

I've been using BasicStamp for all my microcontroller projects. Most of my projects required connecting my board with many serial (RS-232) devices at the same time, such as serial electronic scales, serial lcd displays, serial printer, etc.

All BasicStamp's I/O pins can be configured as serial communication I/O, and it has dedicated connection for uploading programming code.

Can Arduino do the same thing? Can I connect arduino to multiple serial devices?

Pls help.

Bronson

All BasicStamp's I/O pins can be configured as serial communication I/O, and it has dedicated connection for uploading programming code.
Can Arduino do the same thing? Can I connect arduino to multiple serial devices?

Arduino can use SoftwareSerial to do serial comm on any of the pins, but it has never really implemented the SEROUT/SERIN sort of model that makes it easy/trivial to use a lot of the pins to talk to serial devices.
(For those not familiar, BS has a command essentially similar to digitalWrite that has a pin number as an argument, and write the data serially. It also lumps in various formatting possibilities.)
(I don't think the stamp can simultaneously receive serial on multiple pins, so TECHNICALLY possible to implement on Arduino.)

westfw:
Arduino can use SoftwareSerial to do serial comm on any of the pins, but it has never really implemented the SEROUT/SERIN sort of model that makes it easy/trivial to use a lot of the pins to talk to serial devices.
(For those not familiar, BS has a command essentially similar to digitalWrite that has a pin number as an argument, and write the data serially. It also lumps in various formatting possibilities.)
(I don't think the stamp can simultaneously receive serial on multiple pins, so TECHNICALLY possible to implement on Arduino.)

Wow thanks for the quick reply!
Is SoftwareSerial is some sort of header library? Or separate compiler for arduino?

Bronson

SoftwareSerial is a library. One of the standard Arduino core libraries, described: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial Each softwareSerial port defined behaves just like the hardwareSerial port used in Serial.print() and similar; it has both a receive and transmit pin defined, and occupies a fair amount of storage (about 32bytes, plus a shared 64byte receive buffer.) OTOH, the AVR chip used has a lot more memory than the chip used on the BS, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

westfw:
I don't think the stamp can simultaneously receive serial on multiple pins, so TECHNICALLY possible to implement on Arduino.

I would be extraordinarily surprised if it did - using software.

Not that it is impossible by any means (presuming the same baudrate), but it requires purpose-written code.

westfw:
SoftwareSerial is a library. One of the standard Arduino core libraries, described: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial Each softwareSerial port defined behaves just like the hardwareSerial port used in Serial.print() and similar; it has both a receive and transmit pin defined, and occupies a fair amount of storage (about 32bytes, plus a shared 64byte receive buffer.) OTOH, the AVR chip used has a lot more memory than the chip used on the BS, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the explanation, buddy.
I go get my first arduino and start learning!

Bronson