Arduino controled active hearing protection

I have an idea for a project i would like to try and build, Basically i want to use an arduino to build a bluetooth wireless hearing protection headset.

Ok so i want to buy a cheap expendable set of Bluetooth earbuds like these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bluetooth-4-1-Wireless-Sweatproof-Earbuds-Headset-Headphone-Earphone-Sport-TH174-/181841508615?hash=item2a56993907:g:gs0AAOSwYHxWFhCb

That pair to a controller i can keep in a pocket, on a belt or just sitting on a shelf near by to actively monitor the noise level from the microphone on the headset and dynamically control the incoming noise and either cancel it out or cut it out all together feeding the cleaned up sound back into the headset. I would like to have a small lcd screen on the controller so i can adjust the threshold, see the VU reading and noise level indicated in bars on the screen and if possible even store a few different profiles.

Is this something an Arduino is able to do or do?

parts i think i need:
Arduino uno or mini
Bluetooth modual
LCD
Bluetooth headset
2x18650 Li-ion batteries

Is this something an Arduino is able to do or do?

No.

Grumpy_Mike:
No.

any ideas on how i could do this?

Too late.

Been done (not with arduino - this needs something with more power. They may be using a proper DSP chip.) I took delivery of mine just this week.

DrAzzy:
Too late.

Been done (not with arduino - this needs something with more power. They may be using a proper DSP chip.) I took delivery of mine just this week.

https://www.hereplus.me

cool! so there is already a commercial system close to production, my only concern is price, ive seen things like this go for well over $400usd so it may be rather pricey, It looks to me that the phone is acting as the DSP and the software app dose all the work.

This may be more a case of software development rather than hardware. My reason for this project was to have something cheap and expendable as the earbuds as they can be bought for less than $20 on ebay and the hardware being in a safe place.

I wonder if the app will work with any bluetooth headset???? time for more googling

The ear buds are definitely not normal. They have a mic in each ear facing out, and more goodies inside.

yea the list price is $199usd so not something i want to ware at work, my idea was for something to use in the factory at work so i can drown out the sound of the brake press and other loud impact tooling around me without loosing the voices of my work mates for safety reasons.
I dont want earmuffs as i find that over a day they become uncomfortable

Simple radio+sound cancelling earbuds?

You could highpass/lowpass the microphone so it ONLY picks up voices...but this seems dangerous:

You could highpass/lowpass the microphone so it ONLY picks up voices

No.
Not least of which is that the noise you are trying to block out is in this frequency range.

Grumpy_Mike:
No.
Not least of which is that the noise you are trying to block out is in this frequency range.

No. Your brain will dull all noise levels down if any particular frequency is too high in amplitude.
Further more, your ears pull the bones away from the ear drum to prevent any damage to the cochlea hairs...so in essence, a very loud noise at 15,000Hz can cause the brain and ears to reduce the signal from ALL frequencies.

Now I know some harmonics of the background noise WILL be in the voice frequencies, but filtering out any unwanted higher and lower than "voice" frequency range is better than nothing...

PS. Expecting a noise to have its entire harmonic range in the human speech range is a bit far-fetched? If 20% of it's energy is in the human speech range and say 80% higher, filtering out that 80% will still help.

PS. I am fairly sure this is a Signal:Noise ratio.

By filtering out all other frequencies other than the speech WILL increase this.

PSS. It seems you were being pinicky over the "voices" in the quote, I meant voice frequency range.

Sorry I think you are laboring under many misunderstandings about the nature of sound. Have you any practical experience in this field?

thanks so much for all the input guys, what i was hoping was to be able to take loud noises ie the sound of a sledge hammer hitting a steel drift and not completely remove that noise but lower that sound to a comfortable level so i can still be aware of whats going on around me.
I was hoping to use an arduino with a sound shield of some sorts and bluetooth modaul to do just that within a few milliseconds of hearing the sound.

Yes i could buy noise canceling earbuds and plug them into my iphone but that means spending $100 on head phones and carrying around a delicate $700 iphone in an industrial environment.

Thing is if it were that easy you would not have to spend all that money on a commercial one.
Noise cancelling has been arround as an idea every since I can remember back to the 1950s. However it is only in the last 20 years that it could be actually done. Bear in mind that the Arduino uses a 1980s class of processor.

Johnny010:
Further more, your ears pull the bones away from the ear drum to prevent any damage to the cochlea hairs

To some extremely modest extent. You can tense your stapedius voluntarily for a few seconds (like your pubococcygeus :grinning: ), but the reflex is nowhere near fast enough to protect from sudden noise, nor durable to protect from continuous noise.

Thanks for all the help guys i think im going to abandon this idea for now as it seems im not sure how to go about this.
I think that perhaps the best way this could be accomplished is to use something like an Iphone and have an app developed that dose as ive described somehow tricking the bluetooth headset into thinking its on a call, taking the sound from the microphone and adjusting sound/noise levels then feeding it back to the headset.
Tho im sure it could be done i think developing an app to do this is far beyond my programing ability at the moment.
Im sure with the release of the "Here plus" other companies might jump on the bandwagon and who knows it might one day be an app one can simply download (i have looked).

For now anyways i think this is a dead project. Onto the next idea :slight_smile: