Arduino Create +MRK1000 +MKR GSM1400 = Can't connect to Wifi or IoT cloud

macOS here.

Lets forget the ridiculous missing port issues regarding Macs and the downloaded Arduino IDE for a minute...

I've now attempted to connect my MKR1000 to the on-line "Create" platform... I can connect the board via a recognised port, but it will not connect to the my network, and therefore cannot reach the IoT cloud.

As a similar but secondary example, my MKR GSM 1400 can't be found at all -> a valid USB port does not appear.

Whats up? anyone else have these problems? Any suggestions?

Also, yes I'm using a proper data cable, proper WIFI name and correct WIFI password.

And both boards have been removed from the electro-static foam, and both board were purchased directly from arduino.cc on-line store.

I'm not an expert.

If the MKR isn't connecting to your network then maybe you need to step back from the cloud for a moment and just focus on getting connected.

Add the the Wifi101 library and try some of the examples. On my MKR1000 there was a bit of faff about having to update the firmware - had to run the firmware check sketch first then the online firmware updater and the firmware updater sketch - sorry can't remember all the details.

Then the simple web server example ran fine and I was able to connect to local network and serve a web page to turn led off and on.

Hopefully if you can get connected then the cloud will work. Good luck.

I very much appreciate your reply.

Unfortunately, I can connect the MRK1000 to the downloaded (1.8.13) IDE but I get the following out and error when trying to upload the Blink sketch...

NOTE: I searched the target directory path and there is no /bin/ in the folder structure. How can this be corrected?

/Users/joe/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /Users/joe/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages -tools /Users/joe/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Users/joe/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Users/joe/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/joe/Documents/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=arduino:samd:mkr1000 -vid-pid=2341_804E -ide-version=10813 -build-path /var/folders/zt/wv_srr2s40v_dgq4bfl8cyhh0000gr/T/arduino_build_144456 -warnings=none -build-cache /var/folders/zt/wv_srr2s40v_dgq4bfl8cyhh0000gr/T/arduino_cache_315299 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.bossac.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/bossac/1.7.0-arduino3 -prefs=runtime.tools.bossac-1.7.0-arduino3.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/bossac/1.7.0-arduino3 -prefs=runtime.tools.openocd.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/openocd/0.10.0-arduino7 -prefs=runtime.tools.openocd-0.10.0-arduino7.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/openocd/0.10.0-arduino7 -prefs=runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/7-2017q4 -prefs=runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc-7-2017q4.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/7-2017q4 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arduinoOTA/1.2.1 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA-1.2.1.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arduinoOTA/1.2.1 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS/4.5.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-4.5.0.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS/4.5.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-Atmel.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS-Atmel/1.2.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-Atmel-1.2.0.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS-Atmel/1.2.0 -verbose /Users/joe/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/examples/01.Basics/Blink/Blink.ino
/Users/joe/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware /Users/joe/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages -tools /Users/joe/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Users/joe/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Users/joe/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/joe/Documents/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=arduino:samd:mkr1000 -vid-pid=2341_804E -ide-version=10813 -build-path /var/folders/zt/wv_srr2s40v_dgq4bfl8cyhh0000gr/T/arduino_build_144456 -warnings=none -build-cache /var/folders/zt/wv_srr2s40v_dgq4bfl8cyhh0000gr/T/arduino_cache_315299 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.bossac.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/bossac/1.7.0-arduino3 -prefs=runtime.tools.bossac-1.7.0-arduino3.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/bossac/1.7.0-arduino3 -prefs=runtime.tools.openocd.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/openocd/0.10.0-arduino7 -prefs=runtime.tools.openocd-0.10.0-arduino7.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/openocd/0.10.0-arduino7 -prefs=runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/7-2017q4 -prefs=runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc-7-2017q4.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/7-2017q4 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arduinoOTA/1.2.1 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA-1.2.1.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arduinoOTA/1.2.1 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS/4.5.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-4.5.0.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS/4.5.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-Atmel.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS-Atmel/1.2.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-Atmel-1.2.0.path=/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS-Atmel/1.2.0 -verbose /Users/joe/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/examples/01.Basics/Blink/Blink.ino
Using board 'mkr1000' from platform in folder: /Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/samd/1.8.6
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: /Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/samd/1.8.6
Detecting libraries used...
/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -mcpu=cortex-m0plus -mthumb -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -nostdlib --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -w -x c++ -E -CC -DF_CPU=48000000L -DARDUINO=10813 -DARDUINO_SAMD_MKR1000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_SAMD -DUSE_ARDUINO_MKR_PIN_LAYOUT -D__SAMD21G18A__ -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x804e -DUSBCON "-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Arduino LLC"" "-DUSB_PRODUCT="Arduino MKR1000"" -I/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS/4.5.0/CMSIS/Include/ -I/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/CMSIS-Atmel/1.2.0/CMSIS/Device/ATMEL/ -I/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/samd/1.8.6/cores/arduino -I/Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/samd/1.8.6/variants/mkr1000 /var/folders/zt/wv_srr2s40v_dgq4bfl8cyhh0000gr/T/arduino_build_144456/sketch/Blink.ino.cpp -o /dev/null -DARDUINO_LIB_DISCOVERY_PHASE
fork/exec /Users/joe/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++: no such file or directory
Error compiling for board Arduino MKR1000.

I can however connect and upload a sketch to an Arduino Mircro without any problems. Just not with the MKR1000 or MKR GSM 1400.

And in reference to updating the firmware on the MKR1000 -> I can't do that until I can successfully compile a sketch and upload it.

So you all can see my predicament.

Did you use the boards manager in the ide to add the mkr1000?

I missed this step first time around

Yes. all boards and libraries are up to date with the latest versions.

I've been using the Arduino for several years - built a MKR GSM 1400 based squirrel feeder that sends alerts and calculated usage data two years ago (Still works, but I want to extend its capability) - at that time everything was lovely.

Today I can't connect my boards.

Sorry can't help.

I'm Win10 and all the directory structures are different e.g.

In file included from c:\users\stephen\documents\arduinodata\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4\arm-none-eabi\include\sys\types.h:67:0,
from c:\users\stephen\documents\arduinodata\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4\arm-none-eabi\include\stdio.h:61,
from C:\Users\Stephen\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\hardware\samd\1.8.6\cores\arduino/Print.h:23,
from C:\Users\Stephen\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\hardware\samd\1.8.6\cores\arduino/Stream.h:26,
from C:\Users\Stephen\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\hardware\samd\1.8.6\libraries\Wire/Wire.h:23,
from C:\Users\Stephen\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduino_MKRENV\src\MKRENV.cpp:20:
c:\users\stephen\documents\arduinodata\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4\arm-none-eabi\include\machine\endian.h:17:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
#define LITTLE_ENDIAN _LITTLE_ENDIAN

If you can still connect and work with a different arduino board then I'd be tempted to uninstall the SAMD Boards support (from the Boards manager) and reinstall it then reselect MKR1000 and try again - realise this is just the equivalent of turning it off and on again but ...

Another thought - what happens when you "Get Board Info" in the IDE?