Arduino + cs16311en VFD help

Hey guys, I'm trying to drive a VFD that I found in an old blu-ray player. Apparently this uses a 3 line SPI interface (which makes no sense to me as there are 4 wires.)

I basically have a PCB with this screen on it, and a chip with CS16311EN on it (datasheet: http://links.r4-productions.co.uk/datasheet-CS16311EN) I don't speak any other language than english unfortunatly.

There is a collection of wires avalible to me, clearly labeled:

(on the 'data' plug as i'll call it) HOST_REST (no idea) GND (ground) IR_OUT (for the IR sensor) DATA_IN (part of the SPI?) DATA_OUT (part of the SPI?) CLK_SPI (spi clock) STB_SPI (part of the SPI?) KEY_INT (unknown)

(on the 'power' plug) +F1 (unknown) +F2 (unknown) VFIP (unknown) GND (ground) 5SB (unknown) +5V (5 volts) P_CTRL (unknown)

As you can see, I am providing the 5v and gnd to the 'power' plug (but dont have a clue what else to provide, will check the PSU for more info on that)

But I have no freakin idea where to start with this thing, I really want it to work as I am turning the blu-ray player into a HTPC (media centre pc). I can post pictures of the PCB if needed. A little kick in the right direction would be handy if you could guys.

P.S. The blu-ray player is not functional in an fashion and doesn't even power up, that is why I am doing this mod but also means I cannot 'sniff' and orginal data communation. Hope that isn't gonna cause issues.

This site tells a little more about it: http://www.cetc58.com:81/en/product_show.asp?id=330 Summary:

The CS16311EN is a VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent Display) controller/driver that is driven on a 1/8- to 1/16 duty factor. It consists of 12 segment output lines, 8 grid output lines, 8 segment/grid output drive lines, a display memory, a control circuit, and a key scan circuit. Serial data is input to the CS16311EN through a three-line serial interface. This VFD controller/driver is ideal as a peripheral device for a single-chip microcomputer.

Multiple display modes (12-segment & 16-digit to 20-segment & 8-digit) Key scanning (12 _ 4 matrix) Dimming circuit (eight steps) High-voltage output (VDD _ 35 V max). LED ports (4 chs., 20 mA max). General-purpose input port (4 bits) No external resistors necessary for driver outputs (P-ch open-drain + pull-down resistor output) Serial interface (CLK, STB, DIN, DOUT)

What you need is info on the registers you will be writing to using CLK, DIN, and STB (Strobe?)connected to the Arduino spi clock pin 13, spi master data out pin 11, and spi slave select pin 10. Pin 12 will be the spi slave out, but you will likely not be reading anything back in.

Little more here: http://www.exchangeic.com/Data/CS16311EN.html

I went thru 10 pages of google hits & couldn't find a datasheet. Good luck.

Cheers for the help CrossRoads. I've decided to rip out the VFD and replace it with a standard LCD. The VFD looked a whole lot cooler but the LCD is easier to interface (works of the bat with the LiquidCrystal library). Now to just mount it all. I'll post pic when i'm done if anybody is interested.

Thanks agian. PC-R4

Apparently this uses a 3 line SPI interface (which makes no sense to me as there are 4 wires.)

On an SPI there are three signal wires and a ground. Normally you don't count the ground but you need it.

Mike, Couldn't one say that technically there are 5? Clock out, Slave Select, Master Data Out, Slave Data Out, and then Ground? I don't know how often Slave Data Out is used, that is how often one reads data back from the slave device, so three ground would be the typical usage. Robert