Arduino - DEAD - Help needed for resurrection!

Hi people!

My Arduino Duemilanove (ATMEGA328) died a while ago :cry: - i think it was because of a unexpected power overload. (19V)
From after that event the Arduino gave errors when I tried to upload new code end the existing code does not run.
The LED's on the board does not flash in the normal sequence anymore.

Does anyone maybe know what I can do to resolve this problem? Else, do you think by replacing the ATMEGA328 with a new one will fix the problem?

Non of the components onboard looks damaged or different from a new board so I believe it must be the processor.

Thanks for your time!

Do a search on loopback test and try that, it shows if the FTDI USB interface is still alive, if it is, thers a good chance a new processor with a bootloader will fix it.

Will do so! Thanks!

I tried connecting RESET-GND and TX-RX and powered it up thru USB which worked but the problem was not solved. I have checked that the right board type is selected etc.

The powerlight stays on while some orange lights flash on random sequence and stop. When I use the Serial Monitor The message I send appears in the box below - is that normal?

Further, here is the error that I get when uploading:

Binary sketch size: 896 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x41

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x41
avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x42
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Do a search on loopback test and try that, it shows if the FTDI USB interface is still alive, if it is, theres a good chance a new processor with a bootloader will fix it.

If the FDTI chip is still working, it means the board is repairable with a new processor, the loopback test won't repair it, it just determines if its worth repairing.

What the lights are doing if the processor is cooked isn't much help. Its possible blowing a new bootloader willl fix it, but since a bootloaded processor is a cheaper, simpler option.........