Arduino Decimilia and USB memory stick

I'm working on a data logger project and i was wondering if the ftdi ic that interfaces with usb would work for whriting/reading a USB memory stick.

I've seen some posts talking about a device from FTDI that would do this, but would that be necessary using decimilia ?
My best regards,
Lucas

Here's an example of interfacing to a memory stick from the Arduino Playground. In it they are using a Mini but I'm certain it would work fine with a Decimilia.

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/UsbMemory

Hi,

I'm working on a data logger project and i was wondering if the ftdi ic that interfaces with usb would work for whriting/reading a USB memory stick.

If I understand your question correctly then, no, it wouldn't work. The FTDI IC on the Arduino boards provides only a Serial <-> USB client functionality. You would require something that provides host functionality.

I've seen some posts talking about a device from FTDI that would do this,

I assume you're probably referring to one of the modules based on the Vinculum which provides USB host functionality.

but would that be necessary using decimilia ?

You would still require an additional Vinculum-based or similar device.

--Phil.

Reading and writing an SD card should work, and you can get micro-SD cards with a USB reader that are not much bigger than a USB stick... I've almost "standardized" on mini or micro SD for mass storage; I've got adapters to bigger SD versions, adapters to CF, cheap mini-SD sockets from eBay, a bunch of cheap, small ("only 64M"), microSD cards from eBay. All I have to do is get my act together and build something...

It can be done by the help of a special chip from FTDI:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/UsbMemory

So this seems to imply that the use of a Vinculum-based board would allow the developer to avoid the FAT code entirely (similar I guess to the DosOnChip that SparkFun sells).

Is that correct? If so, this seems like a fairly in-expensive solution (1/2 the cost of DosOnChip)

Brad.