Arduino Diecimilia + bluetooth

Hi, I just ordered my first arduino and it should be arriving any day now, can't wait to get to play with it. So I was thinking (for a possible future project), would it be possible to buy a cheap USB bluetooth dongle for pc, remove the usb adapter from it and directly connect it to an arduino? I suppose following the protocol might require quite a lot of work, but how about, say, having two arduinos equippied with said ripped dongles, and have them communicate with each other via a much simpler protocol (things like temperature, or commands like switch relay 2 on etc)?

would it be possible to buy a cheap USB bluetooth dongle for pc, remove the usb adapter from it and directly connect it to an arduino?

No.

The cheap bluetooth dongles are cheap because they are a) produced in large volumes, and b) offload a great deal of processing onto the host computer. Bluetooth, like USB, has a huge protocol stack sitting on top of it - it’s not just a simple electrical connection. A bluetooth module that does all that protocol handling itself is not available for US$10 - about US$60 is the best I’ve found.

If you look at the price of bluetooth modules that will do what you want you’ll quickly realize that the Arduino BT is not priced unreasonably, especially considering the amount of work it will save you interfacing it yourself.

-j

Thanks for the quick reply. That's kind of what I was afraid of. But still, figuring I dont need any advanced protocol for extremely simple stuff (at most sending 2-3 ascii codes), wouldnt it be possible to just use the module to send these bits manually, just using the BT transmitter to get the bits sent on BT's frequency? And yes, the Arduino BT is for sure reasonably priced for the functionality it offers, but at the moment, I dont really need to be able to comply with the BT protocol :)

I seriously doubt you can extract just the RF functionality from the BT dongles.

I think what you really want is something like this. Others have been working with similar devices, to the point they are developing a Library with some rather useful comm stuff built in. Search around the forum and the playground a bit and see what you find.

-j

That seems just like something I'd need. Thanks, will be looking into it.

i’m trying to do this a couple months ago but with no success…

you have this cheap BT module. u also have data-sheet and manual…

http://www.tigal.com/product.asp?pid=1124

good luck

the Sparkfun BT module is good...

even these bad guys appear to be using them, if you look closely at the picture! I wonder if that's how they caught them.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2007/03/16/3763801.html

edit: higher res image here

I really laughed when I saw that!