Arduino doesnt want to run code

i just picked up my arduino this morning and uploaded some code and nothing happened double checked all my wireing. re wired it 3 times nothing. so i decided to try to run the simple hello world blinking led sketch. and the led just stays on, wired all correctly. how simple can it get. did i fry something i mean i havent touched it in 3 days. and its not like i was using over the supply voltage, nothing fancy just simple LED, potentiometer and push button stuff. ?!?!

ESD? How are you storing your Arduino? You do have to watch out for static discharge. It should be kept in a static-dissipative bag or other enclosure.

i dont think static is the problem. here is how i store the arduino once im done with it i put it in the box it came in just not the bag it came in.

Sorry, then I don't have any particularly good ideas for why it's not working. Maybe you zapped it while working with it prior to putting it back in its static-free home. I bet you were not working on a grounded static-dissipative surface while wearing a ground strap, grounded heel strap, and in a humidity-controlled environment ;)

Then again, electronics fail mysteriously for no reason all the time. Maybe you just got (un)lucky.

hmm yeah im pretty sure its not the surrface supplying the static energy cause i have those rubber bumpers on the bootom. do you think replacing the atmega328 chip will do the trick. or do your know how to check the chip with a meter.

Rubber bumpers could be part of the problem. Any time you have dissimilar materials that rub against each other you are separating electrons and creating static.

Replacing the ATmega328 is certainly worth a shot. I don't think it can be easily checked out with a meter.

hmm yeah but i though rubber was a good thing. cause its non conductive.

Conductivity is a good thing as it provides a path for electrostatic charge to flow (preferably AWAY from your electronics!)

Think about rubbing your shoes along a carpet on a dry winter day. Nothing conductive there, but you can build up a lot of static!

Or the typical cat fur+glass rod experiment in high school. Another good way to create a separation of charge.

Rubber feet dragging along some surface is going to create some static. Maybe not very much...the problem could be elsewhere (wearing polyester clothing and squirming on a plastic chair is a great way to build up static).

okay so is there anyway that i could discharge the arduino before doin stuff with it

You want to discharge YOURSELF before working with it. Wear a grounded wrist strap if possible. If not, touch grounded objects frequently (exposed metal parts on your computer, for example). Buy an inexpensive grounded mat (like this and put all your electronics on that as you work.

darn it so its not software issues. something got fried. POSSIBLY.

okay wow wierd i plug it into my dad laptop uploaded blink and it worked then i reuploaded using my computer and boom works too. now we are all good werid hmm.

There's only one possible explanation then.....aliens.

haha yes i knew it