Arduino Doorbell Interface SMS/SMTP using Ethernet Shield?

Hello, I am a vb.net programmer I was thinking about buying Arduino with ethernet shield but before I do, I was wondering if anyone has ever successfully created a doorbell interface? ie doorbell sms notification. I have seen some youtube samples but they all use a wireless doorbell and 3rd party applications to do the sms. my doorbell is a typical household wired door bell with a transformer. my thought was to connect an Arduino to the transformer and if rung send SMS. If not possible I would not be opposed to have a .net program do the sms if Arduino is unable to. thoughts?

.Net code to send an SMS message is simple example below

Private Sub TextMessage(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Try
Dim SmtpServer As New SmtpClient()
SmtpServer.Credentials = New Net.NetworkCredential(“username@email.com”, “password”)
SmtpServer.Port = 25
SmtpServer.Host = “smtp.server.com
SmtpServer.EnableSsl = False
Using mail As New MailMessage()
mail.From = New MailAddress(“from@yourserver.com”)
mail.To.Add(“8005550100@txt.att.net”)
mail.Subject = “SMS Text Message”
mail.Body = “Text Message Here …”
SmtpServer.Send(mail)
MsgBox(“Text Message sent successfully!”)
End Using

Catch ex As Exception
MsgBox(ex.ToString)
End Try
End Sub

Arduino solutions:

or

http://lowpowerlab.com/blog/2015/04/13/doorbell-moteino/

jb

If the SMS or email is sent on the test, it shouldn't be a problem. That is the caveat on most applications. The ethernet shield can't provide the secure connection to send emails or SMS messages in some systems.

SurferTim:
If the SMS or email is sent on the test, it shouldn't be a problem. That is the caveat on most applications. The ethernet shield can't provide the secure connection to send emails or SMS messages in some systems.

SurferTim, thanks for the reply. I don't understand "on the test" do you have an example?

Ethernet shield can't provide secure connection? it's as secure as the network your on correct?