Arduino driving a ultrasonic piezo transducer (130-140MHz)

I have an ultrasonic piezoeletric transducer that needs to be driven by a frequency between 130KHz and 140KHz and I am planning to control this circuit (turn it on/off, change the frequency within this range) using a uno arduino board. This arduino board will also be connected to other stuff (sensor/actuators) later on. The company that sells this piezo transducer also provides a driving circuit (attached here). My goal is to use Uno to turn this transducer on/off and vary the frequency between the 130-140 MHz range (this will be usefull mostly when testing/developing).

Looking at this circuit, I am able to identify the voltage regulator (UA7805) and a few other components that goes along with it: 1x capacitor 330u and 2x 104). I don’t fully grasp what goes on when current starts going through this, but I take that it will produce a stable 5V on the other end. So far so good.

(1) The first thing I don’t understand is why is there a VCC_5V being regulated but the driving circuit is powered directly by the DC12V instead? Where is this VSS_5V used?

(2) The second thing is that I don’t understand how the frequency is generated using the 74132/capacitor/resitors but I will take that as a homework (hints appreciated) and I will read up on it: possibly with more specific questions here later.

(3) The third thing is that I was wondering if there are components/subsets I can trim out of this circuit since I will be using an arduino board to control it. Basically, are there overlapping functions that Arduino could take over? Can an arduino uno board generate these frequencies directly? I understand that the 5V will be provided by arduino and I won’t need the voltage regulator, but not sure about the current: is arduino enough to drive this?

(4) A final thing is re: power. Since I am planning to use solar power in the future, what is the minimum power I can consume to generate these frequencies? Could this circuit be improved to reduce power consumption?

Any feedback or pointers are well appreciated.

– yuri

DrivingCircuit-130-140KHz.png

(1) The first thing I don't understand is why is there a VCC_5V being regulated but the driving circuit is powered directly by the DC12V instead? Where is this VSS_5V used?

It's not shown in the drawing, but the 74132 gate chip requires both a ground connection (pin 7) and a +5vdc (pin 14) connection. It's also assumed the the 12vdc power source negative terminal is connected to the ground connections shown on the drawing.

(2) The second thing is that I don't understand how the frequency is generated using the 74132/capacitor/resitors but I will take that as a homework (hints appreciated) and I will read up on it: possibly with more specific questions here later.

It's forms a simple R/C relaxation oscillator circuit. By using an adjustable pot for the R, the frequency can be varied in the range shown.

(3) The third thing is that I was wondering if there are components/subsets I can trim out of this circuit since I will be using an arduino board to control it. Basically, are there overlapping functions that Arduino could take over? Can an arduino uno board generate these frequencies directly? I understand that the 5V will be provided by arduino and I won't need the voltage regulator, but not sure about the current: is arduino enough to drive this?

Yes, if you can develop a frequency in your sketch and have it toggle an output pin, then you can wire it to pin 1 of the right hand pot. You also need a common ground wire run from this circuit to a Arduino ground pin. Then you can eliminate the +5vdc regulator and it's supporting components and the 74132 chip and it's supporting components.

However the circuit seems pretty good and if you don't want to have the software overhead of generating the oscillator frequency, you could just build it as shown and modify it slightly to allow the Arduino to start and stop the pulse generation. To do this simple disconnect pin 2 from the 74132 and instead wire it directly to a Arduino output pin. Also you will still need to have a ground wire between this circuit and the arduino ground pin. Now when you make the output pin High the pizo will transmit the pulses, make it low and the pizo will be off.

(4) A final thing is re: power. Since I am planning to use solar power in the future, what is the minimum power I can consume to generate these frequencies? Could this circuit be improved to reduce power consumption?

More then likely, however the pizo pulses themselves and the duty cycle you need to use, and the distance you need the ultrasonics to carry will set a floor on how little current such a circuit would consume. I would suggest sticking to the proven circuit for now, get your software working and then measure the current consumption for the whole system, arduino included before looking at where the best current saving opportunities lie.

PS: that LED in the circuit is shown wired backwards, so either reverse the leads if you want it, or remove it if you don't want the extra 10ma intermittent current consumption it will draw while transmitting pulses.

Lefty

Presumably the 5v is for the logic.

A 16MHz 328 can generate about 500kHz in software if it's got nothing else to do. But I think 140kHz will be a stretch if you are doing other stuff.

Using a timer to generate PWM should work (not the standard analogWrite is too slow).

That way the 74132 and 7805 are gone.

As for reducing power, I don't know, if that's the recommended circuit maybe not. Can you reduce the length of time the peizo is running?

Rob

retrolefty:
(3) The third thing is that I was wondering if there are components/subsets I can trim out of this circuit since I will be using an arduino board to control it. Basically, are there overlapping functions that Arduino could take over? Can an arduino uno board generate these frequencies directly? I understand that the 5V will be provided by arduino and I won’t need the voltage regulator, but not sure about the current: is arduino enough to drive this?

Yes, if you can develop a frequency in your sketch and have it toggle an output pin, then you can wire it to pin 1 of the right hand pot. You also need a common ground wire run from this circuit to a Arduino ground pin. Then you can eliminate the +5vdc regulator and it’s supporting components and the 74132 chip and it’s supporting components.

RE - wiring to pin one on right hand pot:

Since this is driving a transistor, shouldn’t there be at least -some- resistance to limit current flow to the 882 should the pot (well, rheostat, in this case) be adjusted to zero resistance?

Everything else seemed spot-on though; I’d go for the toggling of the gate myself (and let the oscillator do its work, instead of the processor), unless there’s a particular reason to being able to change the frequency programatically…

first of all, thanks so much for the answers.

And sorry, it is supposed to be KHz and not MHz.

retrolefty: (1) The first thing I don't understand is why is there a VCC_5V being regulated but the driving circuit is powered directly by the DC12V instead? Where is this VSS_5V used? It's not shown in the drawing, but the 74132 gate chip requires both a ground connection (pin 7) and a +5vdc (pin 14) connection. It's also assumed the the 12vdc power source negative terminal is connected to the ground connections shown on the drawing.

Are the two 74132 symbols the same physical component (considering the input/output numbering on the first and second symbol are different)? At first, the fact that 1 & 2 inputs and 4 & 5 inputs were wired together seemed odd the 74132 NAND, but I guess it means that it will always generate a 1 when the inputs are 0 and 0 and will generate 0 when the inputs are 1 & 1. Is there a circuit simulator somewhere that could show how this circuit behaves?

retrolefty: (2) The second thing is that I don't understand how the frequency is generated using the 74132/capacitor/resitors but I will take that as a homework (hints appreciated) and I will read up on it: possibly with more specific questions here later. It's forms a simple R/C relaxation oscillator circuit. By using an adjustable pot for the R, the frequency can be varied in the range shown.

Why are there two 5K pot and how do I adjust the 130-140 range based them? Does this also mean that once I am satisfied with a specific frequency, say 138Khz, I could substitute them for a fixed resistor? Or it is always better to use a pot since it could be hard to find an exact resistor for the give frequency? I guess I should use a pot but find one that is not easy to change? Maybe one that requires a screw driver to adjust?

retrolefty: (3) The third thing is that I was wondering if there are components/subsets I can trim out of this circuit since I will be using an arduino board to control it. Basically, are there overlapping functions that Arduino could take over? Can an arduino uno board generate these frequencies directly? I understand that the 5V will be provided by arduino and I won't need the voltage regulator, but not sure about the current: is arduino enough to drive this? Yes, if you can develop a frequency in your sketch and have it toggle an output pin, then you can wire it to pin 1 of the right hand pot. You also need a common ground wire run from this circuit to a Arduino ground pin. Then you can eliminate the +5vdc regulator and it's supporting components and the 74132 chip and it's supporting components. However the circuit seems pretty good and if you don't want to have the software overhead of generating the oscillator frequency, you could just build it as shown and modify it slightly to allow the Arduino to start and stop the pulse generation. To do this simple disconnect pin 2 from the 74132 and instead wire it directly to a Arduino output pin. Also you will still need to have a ground wire between this circuit and the arduino ground pin. Now when you make the output pin High the pizo will transmit the pulses, make it low and the pizo will be off.

Let me see if I get this right. If I disconnect pin 2 from the 74132 (NAND afaik) and connect it to an Arduino output pin, what could be only NOT(0 & 0)=1 or NOT(1 & 1)=0 can be any of the 4 cases (the previous two plus the NOT(0&1)=1 or the NOT(1&0)=1. If the Arduino output pin is off then the first NAND will generate either a 0 or a 1 depending on the voltage on 74132 pin 1, which means that the second NAND will generate a 0 or 1. Humm, does that mean that the Arduino out should be 1 to turn off and 0 to turn it on and that 74132 input pin 1 is always 1?

Would you say it would be more robust using this circuit as opposed to emulating this in software? And what about power consumption: would a Arduino implementation or this circuit be more power hungry? For now, I'll stick to the circuit and may play around with Arduino as a learning experience.

retrolefty: (4) A final thing is re: power. Since I am planning to use solar power in the future, what is the minimum power I can consume to generate these frequencies? Could this circuit be improved to reduce power consumption? More then likely, however the pizo pulses themselves and the duty cycle you need to use, and the distance you need the ultrasonics to carry will set a floor on how little current such a circuit would consume. I would suggest sticking to the proven circuit for now, get your software working and then measure the current consumption for the whole system, arduino included before looking at where the best current saving opportunities lie. PS: that LED in the circuit is shown wired backwards, so either reverse the leads if you want it, or remove it if you don't want the extra 10ma intermittent current consumption it will draw while transmitting pulses. Lefty

This circuit is to drive a micro nozzle ultrasonic atomizing transducer (Resonant freq=135.0+-5KHz, Impedance=10 Ohm typ., capacitance=2450+-20%pF). It is a piezo transducer attached to a micro nozzle plate with micron sized oriffices. the nozzle plate will sit on the surface of a liquid container and atomize liquids. So I don't need to produce sound per se, nor the sounds needs to travel distances, and the nozzle plate makes this process more efficient than the MHz foggers you see being sold for decoration (or at least I hope so).

But, you point is: build the circuit, get this thing atomizing water and measure the power consumption. Once I know that I could see whether there is room for making this circuit less power hungry (if at all).

yuri

Graynomad: Presumably the 5v is for the logic.

A 16MHz 328 can generate about 500kHz in software if it's got nothing else to do. But I think 140kHz will be a stretch if you are doing other stuff.

Using a timer to generate PWM should work (not the standard analogWrite is too slow).

That way the 74132 and 7805 are gone.

As for reducing power, I don't know, if that's the recommended circuit maybe not. Can you reduce the length of time the peizo is running?

Rob

Thanks, this is also useful information. I am planning to add a bunch of other modules to Arduino, so I think I'll stick to the given circuit and spare the IC cycles. I will then measure power consumption and come back for more advice from you all on ways to reduce power consumption.

Re: reducing the length of running time, I am not sure. This circuit will drive a piezo that will produce fog. So it will atomize a given volume of water over time. I will need to measure the atomization speed and the volumes I need to push through, but I don't expect this to be running all the time and likely will follow a given schedule of on/off. But I am not sure, I am learning as I go...

One more question: - There is one resistor with an explicit 1/2W power rating. When you see a circuit like this can you assume that the power rating for all the other resistors are 1/4W? Or do you always calculate the voltage current across the whole circuit to figure that out?

You can use one of the spare timers in your Arduino to replace the oscillator circuit without using processor cycles (assuming you don't need those timers for your other tasks). For example, I use the following bit of code to drive a 4KHz piezo buzzer using Timer2. You would adjust the TOP and prescale values to get your desired frequency. For your case, you'll need to use the divide-by-1 prescale so set CS20 instead of CS21 in the sound on/off routines. If I've read the datasheet correctly, the formula for TOP is : 16MHz/(2*freq) - 1 (assuming 16MHz Arduino clock and divide-by-one prescale). Thus, setting the TOP value to 58 will give you about 135.6KHz. Note: this code can be adjusted to use a different timer or PWM pin.

void setup()
{
  pinMode(11, OUTPUT);                           // Hardcoded to use pin 11
  TCCR2B = 0;                                    // Stop timer2
  TCNT2 = 0;                                     // Clear timer2 counter
  TCCR2A = _BV(WGM21);                           // CTC mode, TOP = OCR2A
  TCCR2A |= _BV(COM2A0);                         // Toggle OC2A on Compare Match
  OCR2A = 249;                                   // Set timer2 TOP value for 4KHz
}

void soundBuzzer() {
  TCCR2B |= _BV(CS21);                           // Enable timer2, divide-by-8 prescale
}

void silenceBuzzer() {
  TCCR2B &= ~_BV(CS21);                          // Stop timer2
  TCNT2 = 0;                                     // Clear timer2 counter
}

Excelent! I will try that too.

Another question if I may: what is the best/easy way to test these frequencies? Osciloscope or is there a cheaper way? I don't want to be sending the wrong stuff down the piezo transducer and damage it.

cjands40: You can use one of the spare timers in your Arduino to replace the oscillator circuit without using processor cycles (assuming you don't need those timers for your other tasks). For example, I use the following bit of code to drive a 4KHz piezo buzzer using Timer2. You would adjust the TOP and prescale values to get your desired frequency. For your case, you'll need to use the divide-by-1 prescale so set CS20 instead of CS21 in the sound on/off routines. If I've read the datasheet correctly, the formula for TOP is : 16MHz/(2*freq) - 1 (assuming 16MHz Arduino clock and divide-by-one prescale). Thus, setting the TOP value to 58 will give you about 135.6KHz. Note: this code can be adjusted to use a different timer or PWM pin.

void setup()
{
  pinMode(11, OUTPUT);                           // Hardcoded to use pin 11
  TCCR2B = 0;                                    // Stop timer2
  TCNT2 = 0;                                     // Clear timer2 counter
  TCCR2A = _BV(WGM21);                           // CTC mode, TOP = OCR2A
  TCCR2A |= _BV(COM2A0);                         // Toggle OC2A on Compare Match
  OCR2A = 249;                                   // Set timer2 TOP value for 4KHz
}

void soundBuzzer() {   TCCR2B |= _BV(CS21);                           // Enable timer2, divide-by-8 prescale }

void silenceBuzzer() {   TCCR2B &= ~_BV(CS21);                          // Stop timer2   TCNT2 = 0;                                     // Clear timer2 counter }

I found an alternative circuit to drive the piezo transducer (http://www.prowave.com.tw/english/products/ut/micro.htm), which seems quite a bit simpler than the other one I uploaded here earlier. It also needs only 5V and 200mA (1W), which is great.

Does it seem too good to be true?

I am getting ready to order the parts: are they special requirements for the inductors/capacitors in the circuit? I am assuming that 1/4W resistors will do fine here.

fyi: I have created a simulation of the circuit using Paul Falstad’s simulator (falstad.com) after I found an equivalent circuit of the piezo electric ceramic ultrasonic transducer (http://www.prowave.com.tw/english/item/qa.htm). However, the numbers given there were for a 39KHz resonant frequency.

Could someone help me translate these into 135KHz±5?

Screen shot 2011-02-11 at 7.30.31 AM.png

I am looking for piezo ultrasonics driver. Can you please suggest options?

Did you ever find a driver for your piezo?

Danielkitchen,

• This thread is now 7 years old.
  • Someone asked a question very similar to yours, three and a half years ago
  • They got no reply.
  • Do you think you will do any better?