Arduino drone feasibility

This is the first time I am using this forum, so please tell me if I did something wrong. :slight_smile:

I am a 2nd semester university student with an interest in the Arduino. My group and I are about to start our semester project, and would like some feedback on the feasibility of our idea. We want to build a drone which can detect and pick up a small package and return it. The drone should be able to detect the location of the package, plan the path to the package, and avoid possible obstacles on its way. I do have some experience with the Arduino and electrical circuits. I am interested in knowing whether or not this is possible using the Arduino.

I would suggest getting a quadcopter kit from www.hobbyking.com and use that as a platform to add your other stuff on to.
What are your ideas on locating the package? GPS location to get close then infrared to really home in on it for example.

Obstacle detecting - how big of an obstacle?

The obstacle course would only be a few meters in length, and we have been considering a form of magnetic positioning, as it seems cheap and precise. The obstacles would be a wall of pillar in its way to the target. We thought of using ultrasonic to detect the distance in front of the drone and in a 45 degree angle.