Arduino Due Components for Making a New Board

Hello All,

I acknowledge that this is a pretty open ended question (Great way to start a post!). I plan on making another board that strips away some of extra components the Arduino Due while also keeping the components that I need. Here are the pins I need from the Arduino Due:

Regulated 3.3V (To power my 3.3V sensors, RN-41 transmitters, and MicroSD Card)
GND
A0, A1, A2, A3 (4x ADC Channels)
TX0/RX0, TX1/RX1, TX2/RX2, TX3/RX3 (4x UART Lines)
D2, D3, D4, D5, D10, D11, D12, D13 (4x pins for makeshift RTS and 4x pins for Micro SD card)

I would also like to keep the ATMEGA16U2 USB programming port along with the ability to interface using the Arduino software, the 84MHz clock speed, and the 12-bit ADC resolution.

What components can I exclude from the Arduino Due when making my own board?

For reference, I have experience with designing PCB boards, and I've prototyped my setup using the Arduino Due. I'm using the Due for fast (>12KHz) precise wireless data logging.

I'm not expecting a golden answer to the question, but I can piece together individual posts to make my own comprehensive list. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Since no one else is answered your question, I will see if I can help.

The only major component that is not necessary Is the USB Programmer interface chip, along with its supporting components. All other components are necessary for the Due to operate properly.

Note: this has already been done. Go to eBay and search for " Geeetech New Iduino DUE Pro & USB Serial Adapter compatible with Arduino DUE ".

Note: this board is not shield compatible with the DUE. But all pens are broken out and are Arduino "3.3V" compatible.

While the Due is considered to be a power-hungry board with extra unnecessary components, it really does need all of that to be an easily-programmable prototyping system. Maybe you can strip off the ‘debug’ headers and maybe you can do without a reset switch but any more than that you are building a specific board for a specific application, which just happens to use a SAM3X.

Personally, I’d like to add stuff, like the RTC clock crystal and Ethernet and a proper CAN transceiver and a decent amount of flash/eeprom memory. But that won’t fit within the Arduino footprint, which is very important to retain (some) compatibility with shields.

The Tiajuino DUE from elechouse is about stripped down as you will get.

But I agree with Morgan regarding the need to add stuff to make it more versatile as a development board.
Rob (Graynomad) and I did design such a beast a while ago, and it pretty well had everything under the sun on it you would ever want.

See what we were up to and the list of features of the TouCan DUE board here.

Our problem was that it got bigger than Ben Hur and the cost per board was creeping outside the ballpark for these sort of development systems.

It's a shame we decided to halt further development.

I'll be the first to admit, I totally dislike the Arduino shield system, it sucks big time.

Paul