Arduino Due Graphing Calculator + Printer?

Hello all,

I am trying to create a graphing calculator using an Arduino Due and 7" TFT display. In addition, I want to get it to print to an actual (not thermal serial receipt!) printer by sending it bytes over wifi to print the graph. Is this feasible? I am open to using a PC as an intermediary between the two, but I would prefer not to. Thoughts?

Thank you,
nedkrasno

nedkrasno:
Hello all,

I am trying to create a graphing calculator using an Arduino Due and 7" TFT display. In addition, I want to get it to print to an actual (not thermal serial receipt!) printer by sending it bytes over wifi to print the graph. Is this feasible? I am open to using a PC as an intermediary between the two, but I would prefer not to. Thoughts?

Thank you,
nedkrasno

I usually avoid answering such questions because they are completely a waste of my forum time ... it is not unlimited. But I'm going to provide an answer simply so other newbies will understand if they happen on this post.

Anything is possible with a computer, assuming you have enough money and enough time (to invest.)

The time could mean coding time, but it really means quality learning time. The money component starts on the very low end 8-bit microcontrollers and move up through the 32-bit units to Raspberry Pi and on to PC's and networked servers and on and on.

Most of our forum members could not program distributed network collaborative systems but I was fortunate in my past career to supervise a group of programmers that made such things easy. The costs in hardware alone was over $200M to create an Enterprise System for a 9-state company. Other larger systems exists far more capable; Google for example.

So, enough time and enough money. You have a Due, how much time do you intend on investing? Can a Due drive a 7" TFT display? Likely depending on interface requirements and software support. I would guess that if you have the libraries already identified for the Due, you are 10% of the way to building your project (sans printing.)

My answer to you is, "Are you up to your own challenge?"

You need to be a good C++ programmer.
You need to be a very good Arduino "integrator" meaning you need to put lots of existing code together ... stitch it all up and make it work.
You need to be far better than average with math and advanced geometry.

You may find that the Due is not the right platform (needs and resource analysis needs to be done) but my guess is that it could be done with a Due. Lots depends on the TFT interface code and pins required.

One does not start a project like this with a question. One starts a project like this with a spreadsheet identifying requirements and the implementation 'cost' ... cost meaning flash libraries, SRAM requirements, physical pins, etc. When the requirements are known, one then contemplates an appropriate forum question. For example a request for help in some area of the code - or, some algorithm that needs to be optimized.

Securing an ID for the forum and coming in and asking "Is this feasible" is an insult; to yourself. You need to think, document, investigate, research, and then ask specific questions that advance you toward your project goal.

Ray
Ray's Projects

Printers require printer drivers. The last driver I downloaded was a few hundred megabytes. That's not going to fit on a Due. So the direct connection is unlikely to work unless you find a specific printer that is set up for simple control. That's probably not going to print graphics without a very large number of simple control messages.

So you are correct that it will be easier with a PC. That may be as small as a Rasberry Pi, depending on your own inclination to use such a thing.

So the problem becomes: how would you transmit this graphical information to a PC for printing? A BMP file?

MorganS - maybe we are talking about simple thermal printer from adafruit?