Arduino Due- over current protected heated up regarding:

Hello everyone, Greetings. I'm using an Arduino due board. Recently i tried to interface with a DC motor through H bridge module. My requirement is to rotate the motor clockwise and counter clockwise. For this i have connected the PWM outputs directly to the "H bridge" as inputs. Initially the motor rotates perfectly and the current drawn is 2A at 12V DC. Testing carried out for a few minutes. Then the entire set up was powered off. The very next day i tried to use the same set up, but the Arduino Due is not powered up and the component "over current protector (near to the programming USB port)" got heated up. I'm expecting technical support to sort out this issue. Please do the needful.

Hi,

12V, 2A ? You mean that you powered the motor by an external power source I hope. If so, I don't understand why your Due overheated :confused: I did the same thing with a hand-made half H bridge without any problem...

Hi Thanks for the reply. Yes i have powered both motor and Arduino with a 11.1V, 1.2Ah Lithium Polymer battery. Only thing i gave the Arduino-PWM output directly to the H bridge as inputs.

Was the h-bridge device powered by 3V3 or 5V?
It could be that if it were 5V then the pull up voltage on the input pins could fry the Due’s pins.
Can you post a schematic?

Sorry for the delayed response.
I’m drafting/ tracing my Arduino Due. The component which is heated up is “PTC re settable fuse” which is directly connected to the programming USB port.
I have used a 11.1V LiPo battery for powering Arduino Due & high torque DC motor through H bridge.

That implies you are drawing too much current from the USB as if the USB is trying to power the motor. If everything was correct it would not do that.

That wasn't a schematic was it? At best it is a block diagram. Where is the battery power being connected? Are you doing anything to convert the signal levels from the lower voltage due to the h-bridge? How are you powering the h-bridge chip logic voltage input?

Yes it is a block diagram not a schematic.

Actually it is a H bridge module (pls see the attachement).

The battery power is connected to the Arduino thorough the DC jacket. Also it is connected in parallel to the H bridge module as input power.

There is no level translator used in the set up. Only the arduino PWM O/P directly fed to the H bridge’s input 1 and 2. Motor is connected to the output terminals of the H bridge module.

3.3V short circuit observed in Arduino due. I’m trying to identify the defective component.

Please do the needful.

L298N.pdf (599 KB)

L298N Module.doc (165 KB)

That is a very poor sheet on the L298 Module, it tells you nothing about how the module's connectors are wired and the table is just the Absolute Maximum ratings, which are useless if you want to know how what voltages to feed it in a working environment. Not your fault but abysmal quality from who ever supplied it.

3.3V short circuit observed in Arduino due. I'm trying to identify the defective component.

That will be your problem then.

thanks for your replies.
Have a nice day.

The battery power is connected to the Arduino thorough the DC jacket. Also it is connected in parallel to the H bridge module as input power.

Wrong - the module power (Vss) MAX is 7V and you have 11v battery connected to it.

Find out what the current consumption of the module is (RTFM ) and if less than current you can safely draw from Arduino - not from I/O pins! - (RTFM) than connect it to Arduin0 +5V.

Battery should be connected to Arduino power plug / receptacle ( you got that) and the bridge should be connected to Arduino +5V terminal AFTER it gets thru the Arduino regulator.