Arduino Duemilanove not responding

Hey all, my Arduino suddenly stopped working. I've had it for like 5 years and it's been working all day today trying to get a stepper motor working. But all of the sudden it won't receive a sketch. Here's the verbose output:

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 18:52:52 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/ Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Users/tylerherron/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf" User configuration file is "/Users/tylerherron/.avrduderc" User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/tty.usbserial-A900cdrR Using Programmer : arduino Overriding Baud Rate : 57600 avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done. Thank you.

I'm on a mac with OSX 10.8.2. Got the board from adafruit a long time ago and it's worked for lots of projects but now it's useless.

Also, I have done the loopback test which failed, I think. I can see the RX and TX lights both blinking when I send something via Serial Monitor. But I don't see the echo.

Any ideas? -Tyler Herron

Use a new USB cable, it seems to be the latest "hot" fix in this forum. Seriously, look at the number of 'nots' and then look at the 'fixes' and it's amazing how many of these connection issues are focused around the USB cables.

Unfortunately that did not help. Tried different cables, and different ports. Same problem. Thanks for the reply though!

-Tyler

Did you remove the ATmega chip from the board when doing the loop back?

Tried that, still nothing.

Then that suggests the FT232 is dead.

That's what I came across in my most recent research. That's the surface mounted chip, yeah? Probably best to just buy a new Arduino?