Arduino Duemilanove with A digital valve

Hi. So I need to turn this valve on and off very fast, and the working voltage of the valve is 6V but my arduino board (Duemilanove) only outputs 3.03V through the DC outputs. I used a DC power supply and the valve would be turned on at around 4.5V but I could not use it to turn on and off the valve very quick, like 0,1s. I know I might need to apply transiter or power regulator, but I don't have too much knowledge for circuit design. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks.

'This valve' doesn't tell us very much

I'd say that is the sales brochure.

Why does your Arduino only output 3 volts? What is the supply voltage?

I used the USB cable attaching it to the computer. And the current is 7mA. I think the arduino board can supply more than that...

And the current is 7mA

Again, the use of the definite article. Care to expand?

? I was saying that when I hook the valve up to the arduino board, the voltage I measured is ~3.03V and the current is 7 mA. What I'm looking for is increase the voltage to ~6V to fast open and close the valve.

Can I just confirm you hooked a device taking around 100mA to a device capable of providing at most 40mA?

It seems to me that the voltage and current requirements are beyond what the Arduino can drive directly. You need a driver circuit controlled by the Arduino which connects the valve to an external power source. Do you have any idea how the valve works? If it's electromagnetic, your driver circuit will need to be designed to cope with inductive loads.

There are standard shields available for driving relays and motors, and you could probably pretend your valve is a relay from the point of view of circuit design.

There is a subforum specifically about motors/mechanics/power where you could ask for help about getting it working.

PeterH:
If it’s electromagnetic, your driver circuit will need to be designed to cope with inductive loads.

That much we can tell from looking at that PDF. I didn’t see any coil resistances listed though.

Micco, can you measure the coil resistance?

Thank you PeterH, I think a driver circuit for the valve is what I’m looking for. Just have difficulties trying to figure out the specification for the transistor, resistor and the diode in the circuit.

JustJed, the measured coil resistor is 55 ohm, I think that’s because the arduino board can’t provide enough current to support.

The CURRENT:

About .67/6 or .11 Amps.

DISCLAIMER: Mentioning stuff from my own shop... that I have used...

http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=172 Cheap, probably OK http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=60 Power FETS 4 channel more $

both of those easily driven by Arduino...

Micco_0000: JustJed, the measured coil resistor is 55 ohm, I think that's because the arduino board can't provide enough current to support.

Well, whatever the resistance is, it won't change because of the voltage or current being too low. Do you have a meter? Can you just measure it using a meter?