Arduino Duemilenova minimum power consumption

Hi folks,

I just joined the community, I have started working with Arduino a few weeks ago and I think it´s great! I´m going to use it as a development platform for a few M2M projects that I have in mind

I have one simple yet important question… I need to know what is the minimum power consumption that I can get in an Arduino Duemilenova with an Xbee shield on it.

I don´t need to go deep into details of different sleep modes and programming tips right now, I am just trying to figure out if it is feasible to use the arduino board for my development.

Thanks a lot for your help and congrats everyone for this nice community!

Oh by the way, I found in http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/ArduinoSleepCode that one of the components (power regulator) needs 10mA. If I understood correctly, there is no way to sleep that part or decrease that consumption.. am I right?

one of the components (power regulator) needs 10mA

There's no way to allow it to sleep, but on the other hand, if you don't use it, it won't waste any power.

Thanks for your reply Groove,

so, what should I do to avoid using it, and what would be the power consumption in that case? As you can probably guess, I need to power the board using batteries, I don´t know if using different voltages will enable/disable the regulator - as you can see I am quite a newbie in electronic design :slight_smile:

so, what should I do to avoid using it,

Don't power the arduino through the Vin jack socket on the board.

and what would be the power consumption in that case?

10mA less.

I don´t know if using different voltages will enable/disable the regulator

It depends how you connect the batteries to the arduino. Putting them through the regulator is good because you get the right voltage to power things. Not using the regulator will risk the performance / safety of the arduino, if the voltage is too low / high.