Arduino Equalizer

Hello, I have recently acquired a small sound sensor (it has pins for ground, 5V, and OUT) and would like to make an equalizer type device with my arduino and two LED strips in parallel. I aim to make it simple - to pulse the lights at the beat of the music. I am unsure how to start and how to program it - any help appreciated.

What does your "sound sensor" tell you? That there was sound? How loud it was? Whether there was a specific frequency involved?

What does "at the beat of the music" mean to you?

I believe that this piece of hardware simply can recognize any sound or music appropriate to the threshold you set by turning some type of knob or potentiometer that is built into the board. I would like it to simply flash an LED strip as it registers some type of audio being played. A rudimentary equalizer, if you will. Otherwise, the device is no bigger than a child's pinky toe, although I'm not sure how this can relate to anything.

I have a real good idea - YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO THE DEVICE!

Mark

A rudimentary equalizer, if you will.

Do you really mean "spectrum analyser" ?

holmes4:
I have a real good idea - YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO THE DEVICE!

Mark

It is done!

First of all, you're going to need to define 'the beat' of the music. This sensor reads the absolute Sound Pressure Level (SPL) coming into the microphone. You could pulse some led's when it exceeds a certain value. You could acquire values from this sensor at a specific sample rate, run them through an FFT, and pulse a group of LED's based on the various levels of specific frequencies. Measuring sound can range from a trivial task to a very complicated task depending on what you really want to do.

Check out this page, linked in the Adafruit examples.

It has a few examples.