Arduino + ESP8266

Hello!

I have an esp8266 wifi module from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP8266-Serial-WIFI-Wireless-TransceiveR-Module-Send-Receive-LWIP-AP-STA-SS/222084050344?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35625%26meid%3D8cc61da99a9f48d88f42c8f11247b41a%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D262105141657 and I want to get my esp 8266 module work.

For most tutorial they use FTDI. But I don't have it. :frowning:

I use this type of connection:https://files.fm/u/gft7d9rf#/

When I open Serial monitor and reset my esp8266 it's send me ready: https://files.fm/u/gk5v3cvx#_https://files.fm/u/gk5v3cvx#_

And when I start write AT commands nothing happens !

Before I did this I was tryed this tutorial, but also without results: Android Arduino Wifi Control Devices with ESP8266 Module - YouTube

I hope you will help me with your experience!

The Arduinos 3.3V is not strong enought to run the ESP8266.
You should not drive ESP8266 pins directly with 5V signals.

Okey, I tryed powered esp8266 wifi module with power supply. Now on esp8266 wifi module red and blue leds is on and nothing happens when I change parametrs in serial monitor. Esp8266 wifi module didn't send READY! AT commands doesn't work too.

Please note that you have to enable "NL & CR" in your Serial Terminal.

The blue LED on the ESP8266 is on the TX line and should only blink when you send a command

/Joe

If your powering your esp8266 using Arduino 3.3V then, it won't work and even at 5V from Arduino it starts but couldn't connect to any network.
The best way is to use a 3.3V regulator (LF33CV worked for me)
Try resetting the esp(using the RESET pin not AT+RST) and then sends the AT commands again.
Repeat the same procedure at different Baud rate if you are not confirmed what your esp's baud rate is.

abubakar_005:
If your powering your esp8266 using Arduino 3.3V then, it won't work and even at 5V from Arduino it starts but couldn't connect to any network.
The best way is to use a 3.3V regulator (LF33CV worked for me)
Try resetting the esp(using the RESET pin not AT+RST) and then sends the AT commands again.
Repeat the same procedure at different Baud rate if you are not confirmed what your esp's baud rate is.

I did all steps what you wrote ! Only I don't have 3.3V regulator.

I tried to powered my esp8266 wifi module with 3.3V power supply, but without results. I changed different Baud rate, but nothing.

I made a board on my breadboard with program and reset buttons. I can set program and reset mode, but AT programs doesn't work. Arduino Serial monitor didn't see esp8266. It see it only if I use 3.3V from arduino and set up Carriage return and 115200 baud!

I think I need FTDI or Arduino with TH removable chip and then I can upload a new 9.2. firmware. I then everything will work.

heninsh:
I think I need FTDI or Arduino with TH removable chip and then I can upload a new 9.2. firmware. I then everything will work.

Yeah, it could be firmware problem but usually it doesn't happen. You just set the baud rate and then starts communicating with the shield. Anyway, use NodeMCU for flashing firmware.

abubakar_005:
Yeah, it could be firmware problem but usually it doesn't happen. You just set the baud rate and then starts communicating with the shield. Anyway, use NodeMCU for flashing firmware.

There is no point in him doing anything until he gets himself a 3.3V power supply capable of supplying enough current to the ESP8266. I am not sure what is so hard to understand about that.

ieee488:
There is no point in him doing anything until he gets himself a 3.3V power supply capable of supplying enough current to the ESP8266. I am not sure what is so hard to understand about that.

He said that he connected his esp8266 with 3.3V power supply but didn't get any result.

abubakar_005:
He said that he connected his esp8266 with 3.3V power supply but didn't get any result.

Where did he say that? He wrote that he did not have a 3.3V regulator.

He mentioned that he had a 3.3V power supply and a 3.3V supply can power On the device and also the AT command gives the response Ok, although the device won't be able to connect to any network because it requires a little more current for that.

abubakar_005:
He mentioned that he had a 3.3V power supply and a 3.3V supply can power On the device and also the AT command gives the response Ok, although the device won't be able to connect to any network because it requires a little more current for that.

Yes and now I'm working for that !

I borrow from my friend his esp8266 and FTDI. I tried use his esp8266 with arduino. Powered esp8266 with my 3.3V power supplay and nothing. I think not enough current. Now I must find 3.3V regulator or other power supply and try it.

Now everything works FINE ! What I did:

1. This evening I remember about my breadboard power supply MB 102 Breadboard 3.3 V 5 V Power Supply Module for Arduino Black for sale online | eBay

2. I connected: https://files.fm/u/k7997kkh#/ But I use 2.2kOm resistors. FTDI RX to esp8266 TX and FTDI TX to esp8266 RX

3. With esp8266_flasher.exe I updated my esp8266 version up to v.0.9.2.2. ESP8266: Reflash Dance! | XESS Corp.

4. And now I can use arduino IDE serial monitor or ESP8266 config master :GitHub - AppStackCC/ESP8266-Config to do everything what I want. AT commands works in arduino IDE serial monitor with FTDI and Arduino Uno without code (upload bare minimum)! And same with ESP8266 config master

If you are using arduino you must connect RX to FTDI RX, and TX to TX !!!

Thank to everyone who tried to help me ! And I hope this will help you !

I am not sure why you are acting as if you have discovered gold.

Everything you have written has already been documented elsewhere. ESP8266 | Martyn Currey

The key was that you didn't have the needed 3.3V power supply. DUH.

Off course, 3.3V power supply was important. But before firmware update esp8266 doesn't work like it's works now!

Where you was with your GOLD (link) before I wrote my last post? Gold discover? :smiley:

heninsh:
Off course, 3.3V power supply was important. But before firmware update esp8266 doesn't work like it's works now!

Where you was with your GOLD (link) before I wrote my last post? Gold discover? :smiley:

You are confusing the firmware update with the 3.3V power supply.
If you had gotten the 3.3V power supply as I told you, you wouldn't have needed to update the firmware!

You don't need new firmware. I never had to update my firmware on my ESP-01 module.
I have 3 of them, and they all work fine without a firmware update.

As for the link, that article is not new. The link could easily have been found with a Google search. That's how I found.

But you chose to use some silly tutorial from Youtube in your endeavors.