Arduino ethernet board (without shield) connection with foca

Hello ! I want to ask about how to connect Arduino ethernet board wih foca v2.0 ? Please help me with hardware and software requirements. I will appeciate any help ! Thanks !

The Foca 2.0 is a USB-to-Serial board with a 5-pin serial connector. The Arduino Ethernet has a 6-pin serial connector. My best guess at how to wire them:

| Pin | Foca | Pin | A-E | | - | - | - | - | | 1 | DTR | 6 | RTS | | 2 | GND | 1 | GND | | 3 | RX | 5 | PD1/TXD | | 4 | TX | 4 | PD0/RXD | | 5 | VCCIO | 3 | +5V | | | | 2 | N/C |

If that doesn't work, try switching the RX and TX pins on one side. They are USUALLY labeled based on the local use (Receive via RX and Transmit via TX) but sometimes they are labeled in reverse.

I have tried the two options but it does not work .
I have connected foca to arduino ethernet like you have posted and I have connect the foca to PC with USB cable.
In fact I am trying the exemple blink : I have connected a led directly between GND and pin 9 and I have upload code in Arduino IDE but the led does not work !
I am new in arduino programming and I don’t know which is the source of error !
Any idea ?

The Blink sketch uses Pin 13, not Pin 9. The built-in LED is connected to Pin 13.

Did you change the Blink example to use Pin 9? Did you make sure that your LED was right-way-round?

Yes I have changed of course pin 13 by pin 9 because as I have read the pin 13 in arduino ethernet is reserved to ethernet ! Except Blink example which example can I test to know if my connection foca arduino is right ?

In fact when uploading the sketch I have this problem (after waiting)

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0d avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: ....

What is the solution please ?

Sounds like it isn’t connected properly.

It's a problem of connection between arduino and foca ? I have followed your instructions ..

When you try an upload, what do the RX and TX lights on the FOCA do?

I suspect you may have to do a bootloader update:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardEthernet "Setup If you want to use a FTDI cable to download your sketches on the Arduino Ethernet, please refer to this guide: Upgrade the Arduino Ethernet bootloader to the latest version"

Unfortunately the page they link to no longer exists.

No the RX and TX do not lights on foca . So what you suggest as solution ??

If the FOCA lights are not even blinking that would typically mean that you selected the wrong port in Arduino->Tools->Port

The RX in foca lights but not the case for TX . Whe uploading sketch I have this error : stk500_getsync() What I sould do please ?

If the RX light blinks and the TX light does not, that means the bootloader is not responding to commands. That often means that the wrong board was selected under Tools->Boards and that causes the PC To use the wrong baud rate. If the board type is correctly selected then maybe the auto-reset is not working. Hold down the Reset button on the Arduino and try the upload again. When the Rx light blinks, release the Reset button. If that doesn't work, burn a fresh bootloader.

Ok Thanks a lot for your help but it does not work for me .. I would change the strategy : I would like to program arduino ethernet board with a microSD card . How should I do ??

MohamedBOUGHATTAS: Ok Thanks a lot for your help but it does not work for me .. I would change the strategy : I would like to program arduino ethernet board with a microSD card . How should I do ??

The only supported methods are Serial (like the FOCA) or ICSP: In either case the next step would be to buy an ISP programmer. I recommend the USBasp plus a 10-pin to 6-pin adapter. You can get both via eBay for under $5. http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardEthernet "Programming It is possible to program the Arduino Ethernet board in two ways: through the 6 pin serial programming header, or with an external ISP programmer. The 6-pin serial programming header is compatible with FTDI USB cables and the Sparkfun and Adafruit FTDI-style basic USB-to-serial breakout boards including the Arduino USB-Serial connector. It features support for automatic reset, allowing sketches to be uploaded without pressing the reset button on the board. When plugged into a FTDI-style USB adapter, the Arduino Ethernet is powered off the adapter. You can also bypass the bootloader and program the microcontroller through the ICSP (In-Circuit Serial Programming) header using Arduino ISP or similar; see these instructions for details."

OK. I'm very grateful to you ! Thanks a lot :)