Arduino Ethernet LED 9

Hello All,

I recently had an Arduino Ethernet whose Wiznet chip broke, for a reason I still am not sure of. Therefore, I am trying to be extra careful with my new one.

One issue I am seeing is that I notice the LED on pin 9 is on/blinks even when I am not setting it HIGH or LOW in my code. I had noticed it was lit up on the board that broke, but when I started using the new one it was not lit up. I only noticed it on now, after having it plugged in for a while. Thus, I want to make sure it is supposed to be on, and not some sign of things beginning to break down

I for sure don’t have it set in my code, it might be set in one of the libraries I am using. (#include <SoftwareSerial.h> //SoftwareSerial port for Xbee comm
#include <SPI.h> //Comm to Ethernet stuff
#include <Ethernet.h> //Ethernet stuff
#include <avr.h> //Convert floats to string to send to Cosm.com
#include <avr/wdt.h> // Watch dog timer
)

I notice the LED on pin 9 is on/blinks even when I am not setting it HIGH or LOW in my code.

On my w5100 board, the LED adjacent to the #9 pin is marked "Tx" which means it may have nothing to do with pin #9.

I mean the LED labeled L9 which takes the place of the LED on pin 13 on other Arduino models.

andrewmh20: I mean the LED labeled L9 which takes the place of the LED on pin 13 on other Arduino models.

I think pin #13 is used for the ethernet shield SPI timing pin. In my setup it looks dim because it is flashing very fast due to the timing pulses.