Arduino Ethernet shield connects to Router but not to PC

Hi,

I am trying to serve a simple web page using >Ethernet>"webserver.ino" I can get it working when the Ethernet cable is connected directly to the modem/router form th shield, but when I connect to the PC I can't get the web page on Chrome or IE. I have found that the TX LED stops when it is connected to the PC, but both RX and TX flash when conned through the modem/router. I have used a vacant IP address: 192.168.0.114, I have entered the MAC adress from the shields sticker.

I have tried using a few programs to diagnose the error, e.g. "DHCPaddressprinter" and zoomkats code, with not further information found. I tried surfertims "w5100 and SPI bus check" program and the hardware seems OK.

I am using : Arduino Uno, Arduino Ethernet Shield, Windows 7, Simple Linksys modem, IDE 1.05 r2

I am connecting with a cross over cable, I have enabled internet sharing. There is no SD card in the slot. I have tried both USB power and independent power sources, two different PCs, two different modem/routers.

I have searched the forums but nothing goes quite deep enough.

Can any one help point me in the right direction or things I could try next?

Thanks

Try to set your computer’s IP as static : 192.168.0.2 and see if that helped. Offcourse you have to modify arduino sketch to match this IP ( gateway ) .

Thanks Waski,

I tried to change the static IP to 192.168.0.2 by changing the Wireless Network Connection Properties and changing the IPv4 properties from "obtain automatically" to ip: 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 and default gateway blank. Did I need to change any of the other settings?

I uploaded the revised code with the amended IP address. It didnt fix it and it shut off my internet access.

Thanks

It is not the wireless connection properties you need to change. It will probably be listed as "Local Area Connection".

Open the command prompt and type ifconfig. It will show your network settings. Post the results of that and maybe I can help.

Hi SurferTim,

Thanks. I tried that after you instructed and I opened the LAN IPV4 which was already set to 192.168.0.1, so i altered my code to that and it worked! I then foolishly started playing with it changing the IP addresses and now I cant get it to work again. I do seem to now be getting IP conflicts with the 192.168.0.1 address. Here is the ipconfig results

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Home>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration


Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fdde:d9cf:34a0:1:9df3:e645:b89d:f6fa
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fdde:d9cf:34a0:1:7d46:5268:7fec:b0cb
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9df3:e645:b89d:f6fa%9
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c9d4:9ca2:a68c:3edb%8
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.62.219
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 16:

   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

C:\Users\Home>

Note that the Router/modem settings show: Default Gateway 125.239.40.1 DNS1 122.56.237.1 DNS2 210.55.111.1

cheers

Hi,

I talked to a network engineer who suggested that I bridge the wireless connection and the LAN (Arduino) connection. It worked! I used an IP address in the range supported by the router.

Comments welcome as I haven't seen this solution anywhere else.