Arduino ethernet shield + shift register question

Hi, I have currently pins 8, 11 and 12 used for my shift-out register. I plan to use the official ethernet shield for my project and this shield uses pins 10,11,12,13 (SPI). Is it do-able to move my shift-registers pins to pins 5,6 and 7 instead? This question may sound stupid, but I do not get why in the tutorial the pins used by the shift register are not continuous... that is why I am asking this question before purchasing the ethernet shield. Thanks

Is it do-able to move my shift-registers pins to pins 5,6 and 7 instead?

Yes.

but I do not get why in the tutorial the pins used by the shift register are not continuous

Because they don't have to.

Thanks one more time for the answers. So the internet shield will be my next purchase. Thanks!

I do not get why in the tutorial the pins used by the shift register are not continuous

9, 10, and 11 are PWM outputs (the only ones on the ATMega8). Pin 13 is usually connected to an LED, so you need to be cautious about also using it as a digital out (it's usually okay, but not necessarily okay).

So, I'm guessing the author of the shift register example was trying to reduce conflicts with other examples people might want to combine with it. Like, say, including both servos and shift-register-controlled blinking lights on a robot. Or mixing solid on/off LEDs with ones faded by PWM.