Arduino Ethernet

I was sure this problem would be posted daily but I cant find any other thread with this specific problem! most of the time the answer is to get a crossover… but i got one… ummmm

so…
Just got my DFRobot ethernet shield.
Put the standard WebServer code on the arduino changing nothing.
Plugged cat 5 patch cable into arduino.
Plugged other end into windows 7 laptop.
press reset on arduino.
Attempted to navigate to http://192.168.1.177 …but it just errored.

whats wrong pls?

You may need a crossover cable for a direct connection. A patch cable may not be the same.

zoomkat: You may need a crossover cable for a direct connection. A patch cable may not be the same.

or put a switch or a router between arduino and the laptop

Disconnect your wi-fi.

Set your computer's IP address on the Ethernet card to 192.168.1.100 or something other than 177 and less than 255.

Try again.

What happens is that the computer will try to search that address on the internet (via wi-fi) and not via the Ethernet cable. There's another issue that is the communications controller on Windows that decides where to connect to get on the internet. So if everything works fine and you restart wi-fi, chances are that it won't work again.

What is the IP-address of your computer? If your are connecting it directly to the shield without ethernet switch, and you are using standard cable instead of crossed, it won't work.

-Use the switch between devices or cross-over cable -Set manually IP-address to the ethernet interface of you PC's LAN adapter. Must be 192.168.1.xxx, or very large subnet mask, I recommend 255.255.255.0 witch is the same as your shield use.

You should be able to use it after these steps.

Cheers, Kari