Arduino Ethernet

Hello guys,

I’ve just bought an Arduino Ethernet model (http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardEthernet).

I have no other cable to connect to the PC (serial or usb). Is there some deafult IP address assigned to the Ethernet interface (I suppose the DHCP doesn’t work?) or do I have to get a programming cable somewhere and program the network interface first?

Sorry for my dull questions, I am a newbie :slight_smile:

Regards
Pavel

You cannot program the ATmega through the Ethernet interface. The Ethernet chip is not active until the ATmega uses it. You need to use a FTDI cable (or a ICSP) to program the ATmega before you can use the Enthernet chip.

Hello James,

thanks for your reply!

I do not understand, why they do not include some simple programming cable into the package then.

I have to buy one, as you said, it’s unusable. :frowning:

Is there some information about the cable wiring? Maybe I could make one. There’s no manual in the package…

pavelp: Hello James,

thanks for your reply!

I do not understand, why they do not include some simple programming cable into the package then.

I have to buy one, as you said, it's unusable. :(

Is there some information about the cable wiring? Maybe I could make one. There's no manual in the package...

Do you have a printer?

I just unplugged my printer to program arduino. Was easy enough.

pavelp: I do not understand, why they do not include some simple programming cable into the package then.

You need a USB to Serial chip, not just a "cable." FTDI breakout board is the most common. None of the arduino boards that lack the USB to Serial chip come with such a breakout. Why? Just the way it is. As for manual, again, none of the Arduino boards ship with any kind of manual. All technical information is available on arduino.cc. It would be pointless to include a paper manual.

magnethead794: Do you have a printer?I just unplugged my printer to program arduino. Was easy enough.

The Original Poster is using the "Arduino Ethernet" which does not have an on-board usb to serial chip. So there would be no where for them to plug the USB cable into.

On the board I have, there's no USB or COM connector. Six pin jumper on the board with EXT-PROGR label only.

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=79420.msg600148#msg600148 date=1321639413]

pavelp: I do not understand, why they do not include some simple programming cable into the package then.

You need a USB to Serial chip, not just a "cable." FTDI breakout board is the most common. None of the arduino boards that lack the USB to Serial chip come with such a breakout. Why? Just the way it is. As for manual, again, none of the Arduino boards ship with any kind of manual. All technical information is available on arduino.cc. It would be pointless to include a paper manual.

magnethead794: Do you have a printer?I just unplugged my printer to program arduino. Was easy enough.

The Original Poster is using the "Arduino Ethernet" which does not have an on-board usb to serial chip. So there would be no where for them to plug the USB cable into. [/quote]

Oh, I thought it was meant an arduino + ethernet shield. My fault, again.

You need a USB to Serial chip, not just a "cable."

If it's Usb to Serial, maybe a serial cable with standard connector, connected to the pins will work? (I mean the 9-pin serial D connector)

pavelp:

You need a USB to Serial chip, not just a “cable.”

If it’s Usb to Serial, maybe a serial cable with standard connector, connected to the pins will work? (I mean the 9-pin serial D connector)

Will need a level shifter from 12VDC computer to 5VDC Arduino. I asked about this the other day.

I suppose I should measure my USB->DB9 adapter and see if it puts out 12VDC or 5VDC…