Arduino example blink project

Hello

I recently purchased an arduino UNO board. I downloaded the latest IDE (1.0.5) and installed the drivers for the board on my laptop. The board is connected via the USB type B cable to COM Port 5. I have a windows 8 operating system.

On clicking the upload button in the IDE, the Tx and Rx pins on the board blink faintly a couple of times and then stop. The LED on pin 13 however does not blink, neither does it light up. The IDE however reads, "done uploading" and "Binary sketch size: 1,084 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)."

I am not sure what is going on. Please help.

Thanks

Please show us your exact code with [ code] tags

int led = 13;

void setup() { pinMode(led, OUTPUT); } // the loop routine runs over and over again forever: void loop() { digitalWrite(led, HIGH); // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level) delay(1000); // wait for a second digitalWrite(led, LOW); // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW delay(1000); // wait for a second }

The code gets uploaded without any glitches. However, the LED on pin 13 does not blink.

Looks like your LED is dead. How about a simple serial "Hello world" sketch?

How about adding the arrowed lines below, to see if the code is actually running. Open the serial monitor, Ctl, Shift, M, and the ON / OFF messages should appear.

Or, to test AWOL’s idea that maybe the LED is duff, put a discrete LED and series resistor across pin 13 and Gnd. (Or maybe use a different pin to check pin 13’s functionality, and of course change the code.

Please use the # button above the :sweat_smile: so that your code is easier to read, as below.

int led = 13;

void setup() {                
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT); 
  Serial.begin(9600); // new <<<<<<<<<<<<<<  
}
// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(led, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  Serial.println("ON"); // new <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  delay(1000);               // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(led, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  Serial.println("OFF"); // new <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  delay(1000);               // wait for a second
}

Thank you for the suggestions AWOL and JimboZA. Turns out that the LED is dead. I first tried serial out and then connected an external LED with a resistor. Both work fine!

Cheers