Arduino fails to compile sketches for the Due board

I am trying to integrate a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with an Arduino Due board. The Pi is using the Raspbian operating system.

I have installed the latest version of the Arduino software v1.8.9 for a Linux ARM 32 bit software.

I installed this manually since on my first attempt installing Arduino via the command line installed an old version that did not have a board manager.

Since the Due board is not available on the default boards when first installed this version was no appropriate. After downloading the newest version of the Arduino software I installed the Arduino Due board package from the board manager.

I have found that I can compile and upload sketches to other board types, but when I attempt to upload the same working sketches to the Arduino Due board I get the following errors:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Linux), Board: "Arduino Due (Programming Port)"

Build options changed, rebuilding all
arm-none-eabi-g++: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Due (Programming Port).

After looking into this error on forums it appears other people have had similar issues that all seem to be resolved simply by installing or updating their gcc/g++ compilers so that the cc1plus file can be found.

I have tried these routes and found that all the compilers I attempted were up to date and installed. The cc1plus file can be easily found in the directories of the compilers.

The impression I get is that the newly installed board package is using an incorrect path to access the compiler or does not have the permissions to use the compiler but I am at a loss as to how to fix that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers.

Your description is unclear:

I have found that I can compile and upload sketches to other board types, but when I attempt to upload the same working sketches ....

Sketches for AVR board may not compile for an ARM board.

Does the basic blink example sketch fail to compile ?

The basic sketches from the sketchbook all show the same issues, including the blink sketch.

On any of the AVR boards it compiles fine, on the Due board which is the only ARM board I have installed it show the same error message listed above.

Maybe you can try this:

Open an arduino Ide window, select File>Preferences. Click in the URL: C:\Users....

Follow the path: packages>arduino>hardware>sam

Delete the sam folder (I guess you are using no other SAM board)

Select tools>Board>Boards Manager

Select ARM 32-bit Cortex M3
Do not select the last version if this was your previous choice, select an older version.

What happens ?

There may have been a slight misunderstanding. I am using a Raspberry Pi as I mentioned in the OP, it does not have a C drive as it runs on the Raspbian operating system.

When I go to the Preferences window of the IDE there are two places to enter directories. One marked ‘Sketchbook location’ and the other marked ‘Additional boards manager’. Neither can take the address posted, but following what appears to be the equivalent in this OS:

/opt/arduino-1.8.9/hardware

After following your instructions the version 1.6.11 of the SAM package appears to compile the code well, everything is working it must just be a problem with the newest version.

Cheers my dude