Arduino FIO microcontroller with Herkulex Servo

Hey folks,

Just having a bit of an issue with my Arduino FIO. I am attempting to connect a Herkulex DRS-201 servo motor to the FIO and control it using a software serial port. I am using a library written for these motors, in the past I have had success using an Arduino Mega on pins 18, 19 for rx,tx. The Herkulex servo comes with a interface manager kit that allows me to run an windows software where I changed the default baud rate to 57600 down from 115200 (to handle software serial).

Here is a bit of sample code I’ve tried and cannot seem to get working.

#include <Herkulex.h>

int n = 0xfd;
int RX = 11;
int TX = 10;

void setup()
{

Herkulex.begin(57600,RX,TX);
 Herkulex.reboot(n);
 delay(500);
 Herkulex.initialize();
 delay(200);
}

void loop()
{
  Herkulex.moveOneAngle(n, 90,250,LED_BLUE);
  delay(3000);
  Herkulex.moveOneAngle(n, -90,250,LED_GREEN);
  delay(3000);
}

Information about the servo:

If the software serial port cannot transmit at 57600 then I want to use the FIO’s hardware serial port. In this case I would rewrite the RX and TX to pins TX0 and RX1, then adjust it in software? Sorry for some fundamental questions, this is my first time using the FIO microcontroller. I setup the FIO for wireless programming, so far that has been working well.

Hopefully you guys can give me some insight on this one.

Thanks!

http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial

It is possible to have multiple software serial ports with speeds up to 115200 bps.

I setup the FIO for wireless programming, so far that has been working well.

Interesting. I just never found the necessity to use wireless for programming. Makes lots of sense for I/O however; but I guess if one really thinks about it, dedicating the wireless for I/O might just as well program the beast with the same hardware.

Ray