Arduino Fio Upload Error: avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14

Error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I have purchased an official Arduino Fio and initially tried to program it using a FTDI cable, that didn't work and didn't even appear on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop. I have just got a sparkfun FTDI Breakout board: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9873 and now the Fio does appear on my computer as a USB Serial Port which is on COM8.
I have tried many different things to make it work; Update FTDI driver, used Arduino 0022, 0023 and 1.0.1 IDE, connected a 100nF capacitor to the reset (DTR) line between the FTDI board and the Fio on a breadboard and changed the baud rate of the device to 57600.

The arduino is being powered off a lithium ion 3.7v 6000mAh battery so it doesn't run off the computers battery and it has passed the loop back test.

I have not yet tried to burn a bootloader or anything else.

If anyone could help it would be amazing.
Thanks in advance.

rep8:
Error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I have purchased an official Arduino Fio and initially tried to program it using a FTDI cable, that didn't work and didn't even appear on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop. I have just got a sparkfun FTDI Breakout board: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9873 and now the Fio does appear on my computer as a USB Serial Port which is on COM8.
I have tried many different things to make it work; Update FTDI driver, used Arduino 0022, 0023 and 1.0.1 IDE, connected a 100nF capacitor to the reset (DTR) line between the FTDI board and the Fio on a breadboard and changed the baud rate of the device to 57600.

The arduino is being powered off a lithium ion 3.7v 6000mAh battery so it doesn't run off the computers battery and it has passed the loop back test.

I have not yet tried to burn a bootloader or anything else.

If anyone could help it would be amazing.
Thanks in advance.

Any advice: Check the forum, this error is very generic, try to test some past solutions and if problem continue, write again