Arduino FM Radio

Arduinians,

I'm trying to make a replacement for my truck's AM/FM Radio / CD player. I want to pull out the current radio and use the space for an Android/Arduino powered replacement that is more powerful.

I do not want to lose the FM radio capability, however - I want to add it to the Arduino/Android. Every "Arduino FM Radio" search I try brings up FM ways to talk between Arduinos - not what I want.

Can someone point me in the right direction for a FM reciever -> to Android/Arduino controller -> to headphone jack output?

Thanks.

The only use I can see for an Arduino in this scenario is to drive the display and manage station presets and so on - which implies to me that you would be interacting with the radio receiver at quite a low level and not just using it as a self-contained device. The Arduino probably has rather less power than the processor in a modern digital radio/CD player and I'm skeptical that it will enable you to make something 'more powerful' unless you envisage it adding new capabilities, which you haven't hinted at yet. Do you think that a DIY Arduino-based AM/FM receiver/CD player will do the job better than a commercial device? I don't see how.

The Android/Arduino will be doing more than just radio controls - otherwise I'd use something commercial.

I plan on using the space for the screen of a device that can:

1) Control emergency lighting (I am a volunteer firefighter) 2) Control a siren 3) Control power to 5+ radios 4) Control power to 2 Computers and 3 Monitors 5) Adjust settings for the emergency lights (to keep them legal as I move from state to state)

6) Play music (FM and MP3) 7) Use the built-in Android software for navigation (I have no intention of doing navigation myself - yet)

I didn't mention this initially since I already have 1-5 working (7 too, but I can't claim to have done any work for that :)).

The Android/Arduino will be doing more than just radio controls...

and cure cancer and maintain peace, while you are at it, :)

If I were you, I would start with the simplest and make your project manageable to your skills.

Can someone point me in the right direction for a FM reciever -> to Android/Arduino controller -> to headphone jack output?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10663

dhenry - I already have all the other components figured out and/or working (I can't test everything yet since I'm in Afghanistan and my truck is in Missouri). I just didn't want to tear out the stereo until I had a replacement option.

dxw00d - Thanks. I have no idea how I did not find that on SparkFun, seeing as I spend an inordinate amount of time on that website. Now I feel silly.